Close

FEP Senior Member

Default How to tell if Odometer flipped?

I have a 79' mustang and wonder if 53,xxx miles isnt 153,xxx. Is there a number that turns red or something when it surpasses 100,000 miles? Thanks
    Neal

No way to tell other than seeing if the wear on the car matches the miles.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Default You don't know

The issue is back in the 70's and 60's....most cars were lucky if they made 100,000 miles. The engines and bodies of these cars were made with what I call not the best materials. Most engines produced in the era (foreign and domestic) lasted around that mark.

With better technologies and oils, todays engines car last 300,000 miles.

Because of this, most manufacturers did not place odometers in cars that exceded the 99,999 mark.

I would figure that by body and condition of the car, you can tell if its 150,000 or 50,000.

There really is no way to tell except to reply on the previous owners honesty.

Don

One obvious thing to look at the pedals. If they look really worn down it is probably 100x (or 200x) Unlike the body, the pedals don't wear from just sitting outside.

New pedals screams they rolled it over and know it!
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

That's why I put new pads on all my pedals
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

When I bought my 86 Capri back in 2000, I was told it had 85,000 on it and that's what the state also had on file as correct. However, after I started having suspension components wear completely through, saw the worn out camshaft (It's a 2.3L with a slider cam), noticed the replaced driver's door hinge pins and bushing, and some other things, I started to realize that the state may have been wrong and it really had 185,000 on it. At this point, the odometer reads 22,000 miles- which I assume is 222,000 miles. I started submitting the mileage to the state as X22,000 miles (mileage exceeds mechanical limits of odometer). So far no problems. Now, as to your situation, look for signs of wear- worn driver's seat, replaced or worn out pedal pads, replaced or worn out driver's door hinges, loose or worn out suspension components, and piston slap at start-up (indicating excessive cylinder or bearing wear).
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Don't know how true this is but I've been told once it rolls over the numbers aren't in as straight of a line as they are when it's under 100,000.Maybe truth to it maybe not
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Quote Originally Posted by craigerSS View Post
    Don't know how true this is but I've been told once it rolls over the numbers aren't in as straight of a line as they are when it's under 100,000.Maybe truth to it maybe not
    I have also heard that and wonder if thats true....

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

I have flipped a couple that I know were correct and yes, when they flip...that first digit is not correctly lined up. As long as nobody has replaced the gauge, that may be a good way to tell.

Another way to tell is look at the gear on the highest number. Say your odometer reads 39,000. Look at the 4,5 6 etc. if the gears have wear at all, then she has been around the block, road hard and put away wet. You will be able to see wear or some sort of marks on the gears somewhere if they have been clicked off.
    Just another easy way to tell if car facts, pedals, wear and the owner didnt tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    That's why I put new pads on all my pedals
    The pads are not that great to begin with...I noticed the other day that my '85 GT with only 15k miles already has the lower left corner "wear pattern" showing Guess its time to drive barefoot
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by lk4life6969 View Post
    I have also heard that and wonder if thats true....

Justin
    While this may be true to some extent, it can't be held as gospel particulary when looking at pictures. When moving in reverse, especially if parking directly from reverse you will see alignment inconsistencies across the numbers. I see it all the time in my '82 & 85 when backing into the garage.

Thats why when you see some of these ultra low mile cars with numbers out of line...most likely the backed into position for the photos.

Now a car's odo that is out of alignment all the time while driving...good chance its flipped. Again...be your own judge based on parts, wear and overall condition.

Somebody would have to spend a LOT of money and time to make a 125k miler look like a 25k miler.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Its 153k, or 253k ;p.

You'd know if it was 53k. Mostly because some insane person from the forums would already be at your door offering you money for it ;p
    No more 4eyes

Some crappy 90 HCI coupe for now.

FEP Senior Member

My car 79' cobra reads 53,xxx, body has rot spots from sitting outside many years and being driven year round. It has also bee in a couple minor accidents years ago. Clutch and brake pedals look really good, much, much less worn than my 03 Focus. Interior seriously deteriorated from sun, engine had a replacement head and cylinders showed alot of wear. More leads to 153,xxx miles than 53,xxx.
    Neal

My car has around 160,000 miles on it. It flipped over 100,000 while driving it years ago.

You can only tell by looking at the car's condition. A 50,000 mile car is pretty doggone clean compared to a 150 or 250K mile car. You can tell by where dirt is (or isn't) how accurate the odometer is.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

The speedo cable could have been unhooked then put back on. Not likely but it is true. Anyway my 85 has 111.000 the door pins have been replaced. I will have to check the pedals. Also the driver seat has a worn spot. I replaced the dash pad and also the console lid. The last owner replaced the carpet. It's a t top car so the carpet must have been ruined because it leaks. Only when it rains. lol
    Last edited by churp a 85 gt; 03-27-2011 at 09:07 AM.

gotta laugh, my old 73 highboy doesn't even have pads on the pedals, the seat was worn to almost nothing,has body cancer in numerous spots (granted it lost its box due to grass clippings from its days working landscaping in denver) oh and the 360 only holds about 5 psi oil at idle... but its won't die, literally, I wanted the excuse for a 428. but after all day in the mud with the valves floating (around 5500 rpm) for sure at least over 200k

the capri is over 100k but not completely sure, the speedo hasn't been hooked up for the past 3 transmissions.

I agree about looking at the seats and pedals, its not a science (what if they delivered pizzas for 100,000 miles?) but generally pretty good indicator
    I used to have superhuman powers, but my therapist took them all away.

84 mercury capri gs, 3.8 to 5.0 swap, weiand intake, edelbrock 600, longtube headers, c4 then an aod then another c4, 3.73 geared 8.8 with worn clutches, gt sway bars, boxed control arms.

spare engine and doug nash 4+1 waiting to go in. A4 based supercharged 306 in the near future...