Close

Thread: S197 wheels

FEP Member

Default S197 wheels

Hi All,I have a set of GT 500 style wheels and tires off of my 05 GT.Does anyone make adapters to put these on an 85 fox?

You'd obviously need to convert to 5 lug (SN style), and you'd also need to run wheel spacers. Atleast an inch all the way around because of the offset of the 05+ wheels.
    85 McLaren Capri Coupe -Blue/orange, 5 spd, sunroof

05 GT -5 spd, Supercharged

If you havent converted to 5 lug, use 96 spindles since they have the bigggest offset.
    My friend did a normal 5 lug conv. and used inch spacer. with 05+ bullits and fit well. They were 17x8
    1998 SVT Contour Daily Driver- K1 Racing Wheels CAI
    1985 Mustang GT T-top Black
    Freshened/Blueprinted 302-Heavily Worked GT40 Heads SS valves and Heavy Duty springs-1.6r Crane Cams RR-Custom Grind Comp Cam-Wieand Intake-Edelbrock Carb-MSD-King Cobra Clutch-World Class T5-Cobra 4whl Disc-31spl 4:10 rear-Longtubes-Strange 10Ways-Mac Exhaust with 3" Rolled tips-
    1984 RS Turbo Capri 100% Show car
    1982 Mustang GT

I just picked up some newer 17" gt wheels for my fox project. I put them on a cobra brake kit for fox cars and the off-set is perfect. They look llike they're made for it.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/picture....ictureid=14781

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/picture....ictureid=14783

When u use 96 up GT brakes and brake lines, they bolt right up, 99 brakes need another piece between the right side brake line

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    I just picked up some newer 17" gt wheels for my fox project. I put them on a cobra brake kit for fox cars and the off-set is perfect. They look llike they're made for it.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/picture....ictureid=14781

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/picture....ictureid=14783
    Have to second that

1983 GLX vert
    88 roller motor
    Intake/Exhaust/Underdrives/Turbocoupe t5
    13.79 @ 96.29 1.86 60'

1986 Mustang Gt
    95 longblock w/smog bumps removed/TFS1 cam/Explorer intake/Hedman Long tubes/Mac catback 252hp/311tq
    13.05@102.55

'96 and newer spindles may create bumpster problems if the car is lowered. Apparently, the tie rod ends up needing to be at the same location where the spindle's tie rod attachment point is located.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Default SN95 spindles 101

When installing 'SN95' spindles on a '78-'95 that is using a K member with '78-'95 geometry, use '94/'95 spindles.
    '96-'04 cars had a relocated R&P 1" lower due to the Y block design of the 4.6.
    In turn the steering knuckles on the '96-'04 spindle is ~1" lower than earlier '78-'95(302/5.0) cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Do not install a 1996-04 spindle on a 1979-93 or 1994-95 Mustang fitted with a stock-geometry k-member!

Doing so will significantly increase bumpsteer because...

* The steering arm on the 1996-04 spindle is about 1.02" (26mm) lower (relative to the rest of the spindle) than the steering arm of any 1979-95 spindle.
    * The lower steering arm forces the outer tie-rod end to a lower position.
    * That new position is far too low for the steering rack location of any 1979-95 Mustang, and radically changes the steering geometry.
    * It is impossible to correct the geometry with a bumpsteer kit because the outer tie-rod end needs to be raised so much that it would have to occupy the same physical space as the steering arm.
    Bump steer is created when the two arcs that the A arm and steering link(tie rod) are no longer parallel.
    *Although not a F-C front suspension, you can see how the non parallel arcs will allow a steering output, without driver input, during suspension travel.*

This GIF shows what happens on a F-C front suspension in bump with bumpsteer. The non parallel arcs will cause the tierod to push on the spindle in bump, which will cause a change in steering angle.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers