Close

Default SN95 Cobra Rear Caliper ?

I am in the process of converting my 85 GT to SN95 5 lug brakes all around. I have the fronts done, Mach 1 calipers in the front. I figure I might as well swap the rears to Cobra brakes too. I have read that the V6/GT's and Cobra's use the same caliper, the only difference being that the Cobra's use thinner pads due to them having vented rotors, as opposed to the V6/GT's having solid rotors. I plan on getting the caliper bracket/rotor/anti moan brace kit from FRPP. Can I use the V6/GT calipers? I looked on Autozone's website, and the part numbers are different between V6/GT calipers and Cobra calipers....... Any help would be appreciated greatly! Thanks.

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

They are the same.

Cobra calipers may have been powdercoated from the factory, which would make them a different part number.

If you would prefer to retain your fox width out back, and have the axles to do so, north race cars has the required brackets for about $150 plus shipping.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

Just to clarify, the rear caliper itself is the same among the SN95 cars - 38mm. It's the cage that is different; the Cobra caliper cage has a reinforcement bar across the front not found on the GT/v6 cage, and the cage mouth is wider to accomodate the thicker vented rotor. Thus, if you get the GT/v6 cage, there may be some needed clearancing for the thicker Cobra rotor.

So what would I need if I got the FRPP M2300-M kit? Would I be able to use my SN95 GT calipers? Or should I just get some Cobra calipers??? Thanks.

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Justin,

Even if you had the M-2300-M kit, you would still need to purchase the caliper hangers. See the photo below for the Cobra versus GT hangers.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...GtCalipers.jpg

When you buy calipers, they come with the appropriate hangers. That is the only reason the Cobra and GT calipers have different part numbers. And the different pad thickness of course

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    Just to clarify, the rear caliper itself is the same among the SN95 cars - 38mm. It's the cage that is different; the Cobra caliper cage has a reinforcement bar across the front not found on the GT/v6 cage, and the cage mouth is wider to accomodate the thicker vented rotor. Thus, if you get the GT/v6 cage, there may be some needed clearancing for the thicker Cobra rotor.
    And the caliper mounting brachet (that bolts to the axle) Is diffrent. Check the M-2300m frpp part.