Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    If the insurance wants to total the car, is there a way to stop them from turning a clear title into a salvage title?
    That is the question.
    John
    -------------------------------------
    86 GT, Stock for now, with all sorts of issues

FEP Senior Member

From 79'-93' mustang there were only 4 different tail lens's: (79-82)(83-86) (87-93LX)(87-93GT).

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    I thought these were from '87 on,the cheese graters vs. the 'LX' style. On the earlier cars, the lenses were split horizontally whereas the 'LX' style were not.
    Neal

FEP Senior Member

I think the only way they will total you car is on a $$ standpoint not a physical mechanical standpoint. Truth is because some negligent person did damage to your property and i think you should get the money owed to you in small claims court. A friend of mine was told this same advice from his lawyer(different situation). Its just a quick phone call to find out, you never know. BTW, it was nice to meet you yesterday. Good Luck
    Neal

Quote Originally Posted by JR4 Motorsports View Post
    That is the question.
    You could try calling your insurance again, and telling them that you won't allow the car to end up with a salvage title. Maybe that will mean that they'll only cover part of the repair... I don't know, but it can't hurt to see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by neald View Post
    From 79'-93' mustang there were only 4 different tail lens's: (79-82)(83-86) (87-93LX)(87-93GT).
    There were five. The SVO had its own style.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

When my dad'd '87 Bronco was hit by a drunk driver my dad had it towed back to the house. The insurance company tried to total the truck and said they'd be by to pick it up. My dad flipped out on them and said, "F*** you. I paid out of my pocket to tow the truck to my house. Step on my property and I'll sue you for enough money to buy every Bronco in existence. Write me a check for the value of the truck and stay the hell away from the title." Within a few days they had given him the check for the value of the truck, and he had already gotten the rear axle bolted back on. They don't make replacement body panels for what was damaged, so he waited for the wheel to be bent back into shape and it was back on the road.

So maybe if you get super pissed at them, they'll just write you a check and run away.
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    1984 Mustang convertible

just remember that you dont have to accept their offer, dont let them push you around. Be reasonable but firm

Good morning FEP, well not so good.

Woke up at 5am this morning to an unpleasant surprise. Drunk neighbor took out the taillights and hatch on my 86 GT.

He was trying to turn his pickup around in the parking lot and misjudged the distance.

Both taillight assemblies are shot, bumper cover is scuffed, and might have a hole, the lower edge of the hatch is curled up about 4 inches for at least 1/2 of the length across the rear. (looks like his bumper went under the hatch and lifted the car a little, as I don't remember parking up against the curb.

Only good thing is he was too drunk to even leave, Local Sherriff charged him with DWI

So......

Any idea for a damage est? Only looking to use Ford replacement parts! Paint is not really an issue, as the car is multiple shades of black, but it does need to be at least black. I'll be calling my agent later this morning!

Thanks!!
    Damn I feel your pain.

You could try calling your insurance again, and telling them that you won't allow the car to end up with a salvage title. Maybe that will mean that they'll only cover part of the repair... I don't know, but it can't hurt to see what they say.
    My insurance company is out of the loop on this one. I do not have collision on the car. If I bang it up, I will take responsibility, but I did not do the damage, the other guy did. The car was parked and unoccupied, he was DWI. I have to deal with his insurance, geico. Hopefully Monday I will get the official numbers, but I think I am going to get a run around on the value of the car before the accident. Who besides Kelly Blue Book and NADA does values?
    John

I think the only way they will total you car is on a $$ standpoint not a physical mechanical standpoint. Truth is because some negligent person did damage to your property and i think you should get the money owed to you in small claims court. A friend of mine was told this same advice from his lawyer(different situation). Its just a quick phone call to find out, you never know. BTW, it was nice to meet you yesterday. Good Luck
    Yeah, it's all about the $$$, hopefully I can avoid small claims, but we will see.
    Good to meet you as well.
    John

My insurance company is out of the loop on this one. I do not have collision on the car. If I bang it up, I will take responsibility, but I did not do the damage, the other guy did. The car was parked and unoccupied, he was DWI. I have to deal with his insurance, geico.
    You're right... I should've written "their insurance" rather than "your insurance." But regardless of whose insurance is required to pay, I'm wondering if people have the right to stop insurance companies from turning clear titles into salvage titles, when the repair cost of minor damage is close to the value of an older car. Maybe I should call my insurance, and ask them about it.
    Last edited by arj; 11-21-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

If worse comes to worst maybe this will help.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...hts/p35062.asp

i've had 2 cars that were "totaled". neither got a salvage title as i got a settlement and bought the cars back with out ever giving them the title. They can't brand the title as salvage (at least in Utah) if they don't get the title back. fixed both of them and sold one with a clean title-it was rearended and did cosmetic damage and bent the exhaust but the fix it was more than they said it was worth-lx's don't book for much . Don't take the first offer unless it covers everything. They are trying to get out as cheap as possible but their client is at fault. On one of my cars i found a comparable used car (almost identical except for mileage and color) and requested they buy it for me if they totaled mine. They refused but paid me what the other car was being offered for(which was $800 more than they said they could do on the first offer) as it showed what the retail value was better than the books do.
    1967 mercury cougar restomod in progress
    1984 svo
    1984 gt 350 w/t-tops
    1984 gt turbo
    1986 mustang gt
    1986 capri rs 5.8
    1988 mustang lx 2.3
    1989 Lx convt 5.0
    1990 mustang gt
    RunAmuk Racing-proud supporters of the "Drive it like you stole it" series

ok, spoke to the adjuster, and he gave me a $$ number. Is it a fair number? maybe... I'll have to look the report over a little more. He wants to write me a check right now, all I have to do is fax a copy of the title so he can make the check out to the title holder (Me). I asked him specifically what happens to the title. He replied that they do not salvage it, it stays clear. I keep the car and take the money to have it fixed. He explains that since the car is older than 8 years old they do not want the title, if it was younger than 8 and totaled that would be different. Is this on the up and up? I am not getting a good feeling. I am going to check with my agent later today, but would also like some feedback from the group.

Thanks
    John

I work for a major ins co. and if he is telling you that after 8 yrs they don't brand the title he is probably telling you the truth. Speak with your ins co's claims dept and get them to verify this for you. This will be based on state laws rather than what ins co. wants to do.
    If you have done your leg work and verified vehicle prices off of internet sources (craig's list, autotrader, vehicles for sale here on fep) and he is offering you a fair settlement (have you been by local body shop and got a estimate?) then take the offer. If you feel that the offer isn't fair you will need documentation from shop estimate if they are offering to repair car, or print outs of vehicles that are compabable to your for documentation for adjuster superiors.
    Above all act like and adult and be able document any statements that you make.

FEP Senior Member

There were five. The SVO had its own style.
    Yes i know there were even more if you also even consider the grey insert 85/86 style tails. i had some 79 and 87 styles that had no black striping on them too, but i was really just generalizing because there were only 4 types.
    Neal

FEP Senior Member

Sounds like good news. Hope its to your benefit and you make the car better than it was. Good luck bud.
    Neal

Well... I took the offer, it looks fair offer so I am ok with it. I was reassured MANY times by them, and others, that the title will stay clear. We will see. So after this weekend the rebuilding begins!

Thanks everyone! I'll post pics when I start fixing it up.
    Last edited by JR4 Motorsports; 11-30-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    John

FEP Senior Member

Really good to hear. Now you need to start a rebuild thread.
    Neal

Really good to hear. Now you need to start a rebuild thread.
    Once I get it going I will!
    John

How hard is it to add a spoiler to a hatch that did not have one to begin with? I may have found a hatch in good shape, but it never had a spoiler like the one my 86 GT does. (see pics in post #11 )
    John

Well it sounds like it's time to fix it on the cheap and buy yourself a nice Christmas present

My 1980 fox was rear-ended a bunch of years ago. The insurace company sent me $400. A few calls to my buddies and $50 later, I had all the parts to fix it.

Oh, and there are two different types of SVO tailights from what I understand. One with black stripes and one with gray.
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12