Close

Thread: 3.7 V6 Swap

FEP Member

Default 3.7 V6 Swap

Being impressed with the engines being offered in the 2011 mustangs i've been doing some thinking about the very impressive numbers offered up by the 3.7 Liter V6.

I found an article that states the following about the engine.

"In terms of power efficiency, the new engine makes 82.5 horsepower per liter of displacement, versus the old engine's 52.5, a 57-percent improvement-and it weighs only 41 pounds per liter of displacement versus the old engine's 101. Compare the old 4.0 V-6's 1.93 pounds per horsepower to just under 1.2 pounds for the new engine. Fuel efficiency is almost 5-percent better overall, from 0.521 pounds per horsepower per hour down to 0.498."

I had to check the math twice because that equates to 41 pounds time 3.7 equaling to 151.7 pounds for the engine!!!!! Seems the 5.0 in most of our cars is over 400 with iron heads?

With that much weight savings in a light weight Fox mustang it ought to be pretty easy to get under 3000 LBS total weight and although the aerodynamics would not be nearly as good as the 2011 mustang i'm guessing some impressive MPG numbers can be achieved as well.

Anyway, 305HP in a 2900 pound mustang that gets 30ish MPG on the highway sounds like a great all round car?

I know the 5.0 coyote engine will get most of the attention from DIY swappers and so forth I therefore suspect this may turn out to be an affordable upgrade if not for 5.0 mustangs it would make a great 2.3 to 3.7 swap.

Thoughts?

Steve
    1983 Mustang GT

I see (305hp) x (1.2#)=366# for the engine. The key for me figuring this was that the article stated 1.2 pounds per horsepower:

"Compare the old 4.0 V-6's 1.93 pounds per horsepower to just under 1.2 pounds for the new engine."

Either way I've heard of worse engine swaps. That six is a screamer, it pushes the big F150 down the quarter in under sixteen seconds, WITHOUT ecoboost.

You can hear it screaming down the track, making some very un-truck like sounds along the way.

FEP Member

Well thats interesting. Looks like they have their figures wrong on one of those!!! set of Specs.

Steve
    1983 Mustang GT

Banned

I bet that would be a sweet setup in my 80 coupe project. I wonder how much of a nightmare a swap would be. It currently has the I6.

I doubt actually getting it in and bolted up would be a problem if you use the transmission for it and can do a little welding and fab work. But I would hate to be the one to wire it!

FEP Member

I got to thinking about the oil pan. Something tells me the oil pan isn't going to work with the stock k-member. Do the stock mustang V6's have front sump oil pans?

ya... the electrical / computer wiring would be a real "challenge" !

Steve
    1983 Mustang GT

I think you might be surprised that the "New" Mustang is no more aerodynamic than our 4 eyes.

I will have to look it up again, but the New Mustangs are horrible on drag coefficient compared to other modern cars.

The same goes for the new Camaro and Challenger. Trying to modernize 1960/70's styling does not lend itself to aircraft type efficiency.

I just found the numbers below on the web. I can not guarantee their accuracy. But it's in line with what I had read or heard.

I found one site that list the 79 Mustang as .44.
    I would assume the later 4eyes improved on that.

Camaro V6: .36
    Camaro SS: .35

And a few cars to compare it to.

Mustang GT500: .38

Corvette Z06: .34

4thgen Camaro: .33

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 View Post
    I doubt actually getting it in and bolted up would be a problem if you use the transmission for it and can do a little welding and fab work. But I would hate to be the one to wire it!
    That would be my biggest concern. It probably would be cheaper to but a new one by the time you are through, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by foxmustang84 View Post
    That would be my biggest concern. It probably would be cheaper to but a new one by the time you are through, lol.
    Yeah, but then you'd be stuck with a new Mustang...

If I had some extra $$ laying around, the six would be a good swap for a nice driver car.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Yeah, but then you'd be stuck with a new Mustang...

If I had some extra $$ laying around, the six would be a good swap for a nice driver car.
    Point Taken.

FEP Member

More about the weight. I found a web site indicating the 4.0 Liter Cologne V6 in the '10 mustang comes in at about 330 lbs. I also went back and found the article I read said

"This new engine is 41 pounds lighter, 20mm less tall, 30mm narrower, and 55mm shorter-far smaller and far more powerful than any base engine ever offered in a Mustang."

Using that as an approximation would indicate the 3.7 comes in right around 300 lbs. Still a significant weight savings over an iron headed 5.0 and probably lighter than the original v6s used in the early mustangs. I would say somewhere between 300 and 350 is where it is at.

This is still pretty interesting to consider IMHO.

The electronics are just that. It would be a challenge but for someone familiar with electronics it should just be a matter of hours to get it to work for a DIYer. Paying someone to make the conversation I agree would probably be cost prohibitive.

Steve
    Last edited by roller4v; 11-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    1983 Mustang GT

Definitely a swap I'll do on a future ride. I'm trying to talk the wife into an ecoBoost V6 for her 96 mustang.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I think you guys are dreaming, albeit cool dreams! The 2011 V6 with all its supporting
    systems would be a very expensive swap, at least for a few years.

FEP Member

anyone seen someone attempt this yet? Virtually the same engine I think is in F150s so there must be a lot of engines showing up in wrecking yards.

Steve
    1983 Mustang GT

Search www.car-part.com
    I came up with a couple of places that have the motor out of a Mustang for between $1950 to $2500.
    On another note, 5.0 truck motor can be had for $3000!

*edit* there's a 3.7 at Standard Auto Wreckers (my old wrecking yard!) for $2000!!!
    1986 GT T-Top 5.0, waiting on trans and IRS swap.
    1988 GT Ragtop, 5.0, T5, 3.73, 03 Cobras with Nittos
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Quote Originally Posted by roller4v View Post
    anyone seen someone attempt this yet? Virtually the same engine I think is in F150s so there must be a lot of engines showing up in wrecking yards.

Steve
    If it is typical Ford, the truck will use a much tall intake setup then the Mustang. The front drive may also be different. Not that these can't be changed, but as before with the 4.6V8 the truck and Mustang did not share many exterior engine parts.

My guess would be even if the price is slightly higher the Mustang engine will be a better match to our 4 Eyes.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Looks like a matching tranny would be an additional $1500. I think to make it work one would basically need to purchase an entire wrecked car as a doner and then sell the leftovers when done.

I'm guessing its going to be several more years before this is financially viable.

steve
    1983 Mustang GT

Hey guys, its been about a decade, but any luck on this topic, I have a 2012 v6 mustang that has some body damage, and im looking at buying a 79 straight 6, any idea if the engine swap is viable and whats needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bestpader View Post
    Hey guys, its been about a decade, but any luck on this topic, I have a 2012 v6 mustang that has some body damage, and im looking at buying a 79 straight 6, any idea if the engine swap is viable and whats needed?
    No idea what is needed since I have never looked into this swap. Since you have a complete running vehicle, that should make the swap much easier and less expensive. Most likely you will need the I4, V6, V8 K member from a Fox Mustang to make the V6 work. The Inline 6 used a different K member than the other engines. You may have to fab custom engine mounts anyway, so a K member swap is not an absolute. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller