Close

Default A/C & Heater seal on firewall

Hey, i'm looking for the rubber seal that is between the heater box and the firewall. I've checked a few parts stores in town with no luck...Any of you know where to get one?

Also, i would like to replace the foam seal between dash and blower box...Anyone know where i can find one of these?

Now there's a couple of obscure parts...

For the big rubber one, I'd check with the dealer.

You can always scour the salvage yards for a really decent original.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

The large seal for the firewall that the evap core lines and heater core lines go through, just sold on Ebay for over $100.00.

It was NOS for 87 + Mustangs

If you are lucky you might find one through the dealers, but odds are you will have to find one at a junk yard.

I have used regular strip weatherstripping from Home Depot to replace the seal from the unit to the duct work and that has worked well and it's cheap too!

Best of Luck!

Trey

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have used regular strip weatherstripping from Home Depot to replace the seal from the unit to the duct work and that has worked well and it's cheap too!
    I agree. A roll of universal foam weatherstripping with the adhesive backing will be cheap and will work fine.

But as far as the firewall seal goes, I bet it would be really hard to find a nice one in a junkyard. Depending on the availability and price of a new one, it might be best to use the old seal as a pattern, and just make one. You could try checking with local upholstery shops, to see if they have gray or black closed-cell foam.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Thanks guys...I'm going to home depot today!

P.M. Hissing Cobra. He made a new seal for the firewall and it looks just like the factory one. Nice and clean. He can tell you the details.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and I know that you need an entire seal unit. My method may not work for you but here goes.

Two years ago, I changed my '79 air conditioning parts over to the '87-'93 style and had to figure out a way to fix/modify my original seal because the evaporator core tubes protruded horizontally (side by side) as they came out of the firewall. The '87-'93 style has these tubes in a vertical style, so it was a whole new ballgame.

I had to trim the parts of my original foam that protruded into the engine compartment so that the original seal was flat, with nothing protruding. I then went to Michaels (an arts & crafts store) and bought a 9"x12" piece of foam (they sell these in single units and thicknesses). From there, I used a socket to poke holes through it for the tubes of the Evaporator core and glued it to the original one. When I placed the heater box back onto the firewall, it made a snug fit.

Here's a pic.

Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and I know that you need an entire seal unit. My method may not work for you but here goes.

Two years ago, I changed my '79 air conditioning parts over to the '87-'93 style and had to figure out a way to fix/modify my original seal because the evaporator core tubes protruded horizontally (side by side) as they came out of the firewall. The '87-'93 style has these tubes in a vertical style, so it was a whole new ballgame.

I had to trim the parts of my original foam that protruded into the engine compartment so that the original seal was flat, with nothing protruding. I then went to Michaels (an arts & crafts store) and bought a 9"x12" piece of foam (they sell these in single units and thicknesses). From there, I used a socket to poke holes through it for the tubes of the Evaporator core and glued it to the original one. When I placed the heater box back onto the firewall, it made a snug fit.

Here's a pic.

I know this post is 11 years old, but do you still have the pic?
    1979 capri, a mess, 86 efi

Unfortunately I cannot post them because this site doesn't automatically resize them and they're too large to post here. I can e-mail them to you if you'd like.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Here's a link to the type of foam pad that I bought. I was actually able to go to Michael's Arts & Crafts store and buy single sheets.

https://www.amazon.com/Sheets-Better...9563784&sr=8-1

https://www.michaels.com/shop-catego...es%20-%20Grade
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

No problem, I had to resize a bunch of stuff recently, it's a pain. Thanks for links to the foam pad, I definitely have a good idea what I'm doing now. Thanks again.
    1979 capri, a mess, 86 efi

Quote Originally Posted by mutantcapri1979 View Post
    No problem, I had to resize a bunch of stuff recently, it's a pain. Thanks for links to the foam pad, I definitely have a good idea what I'm doing now. Thanks again.
    No problem. Good luck!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    You could try checking with local upholstery shops, to see if they have gray or black closed-cell foam.
    Maybe repetitive, but I seem to remember someone used one of those dense foam floor mats that you can stand on for concrete floors, and maybe another got something from Hobby Lobby (?) It's been awhile, but those pop to mind.
    Last edited by billkandi; 08-28-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)