Close

Default 1981 Turbo RS Capri

I used to have an 81 Turbo RS Capri back in the 80's......

Loved the looks....blue on blue with t-tops....TRX wheels.....nice interior…..

It was mostly original paint....had Turbo RS decals....but the turbo had been removed.....Also it had an automatic trans....Thought that was odd for a turbo car....Always wondered if it really was supposed to be turbo charged.

Turns out 81 Turbo RS Capris are rediculously rare......I’ve often wondered if they really built Turbo Capris in 1981. I have never seen another one like it...... I’ve read that Ford dropped the carbureted 2.3 Turbo after the 1980 model year and didn’t reintroduce the engine until 1983 with fuel injection in the Mustang GT Turbo. Did Mercury still install the carbureted 2.3 Turbo engine in 81 & 82?

Has anyone on this site had experience with the early carbureted turbo engines????

Can these be built to run and perform well????

In my early days I’ve been more of a V8 guy but these Turbo 4 cylinders are starting to intrigue me! Would really like more information about this unusual car. .....Thanks.....Scott

The original sales brochures will answer some of your questions. http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/img_arch/capri/
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Love that car!!!!!!

I had an 80 Turbo RS that the turbo had been removed on.
    The VIN will tell you if it was really a turbo car. Either way- nice car!

The 2.3T was supposed to be limited to cars sold in Canada. Options in Canada cars were also a lot different than in the US. With the turbo engine, only a manual was available in the US, not sure about Canada.

For the '81 model year, I have 174 Capris VINs built in Dearborn w/ the 2.3T. (Both were also built at San Jose that year, and I'm not done with the VINs for that plant yet.) Also have 233 '81 Dearborn-built 2.3T Mustang VINs. All except one of the Capris, and all of the Mustangs, were built after the first half of the model year.

Capri
    011 - GS
    163 - base/RS/Black Magic

Mustang
    023 - base coupes
    002 - Ghia coupes
    024 - Ghia hatchbacks
    184 - base hatchbacks
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Also, there was a turbo engine in Canada in '82. I have 263 '82 2.3T Capri VINs and 371 '82 2.3T Mustang VINs...

Capri
    022 - GS
    241 - base/L/RS/Black Magic

Mustang
    009 - GLX coupes
    044 - L/GL coupes
    046 - GLX hatchbacks
    272 - GL/GT hatchbacks
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-21-2010 at 04:03 PM.

All done with the '81 San Jose-built Capri and Mustang VINs.....no "T" engine code (2.3T) VINs found.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-26-2010 at 10:55 AM.