Close

FEP User

Default my 85 gt windows and locks dont work.

i just bought the car this way. its missing the up and down switches for driver and pass side on the dual switch. both sides seem like theres no power getting through.

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think the windows will work without all of the switches in place.

I believe you have to have all the switches installed to complete the circuits.

Even if the switches are bad, they need to there to complete the circuit.

Give that a try first, if possible, before you start throwing parts at it or waste additional time trying to diagnose the problem.

I am sure someone with more experience lately with the power windows will respond.

Best of luck!

Trey

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am not 100% sure, but I don't think the windows will work without all of the switches in place.

I believe you have to have all the switches installed to complete the circuits.

Even if the switches are bad, they need to there to complete the circuit.

Give that a try first, if possible, before you start throwing parts at it or waste additional time trying to diagnose the problem.

I am sure someone with more experience lately with the power windows will respond.

Best of luck!

Trey

thanx, now i have to buy a couple of switches to give that a try.

What wraith said. Power windows go through both switches. Otherwise you'd have a short
    circuit if someone was pushing their switch down, and someone else was pushing their
    switch up. Whenever you push a power window switch, it deactivates power to the other
    one. Same thing goes for the lock switches.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

thats good information.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    What wraith said. Power windows go through both switches. Otherwise you'd have a short
    circuit if someone was pushing their switch down, and someone else was pushing their
    switch up. Whenever you push a power window switch, it deactivates power to the other
    one. Same thing goes for the lock switches.

Did you check the fuses
    Current
    2019 Mustang GT 401a A10
    2014 F-150 FX4 SuperCab
    1984 Mustang GT Convertible First Car
    1991 Mustang LX Notchback
    Past
    1985 Mustang GT TTOP
    1989 Mustang LX Convertible
    1983 Mustang GT TTOP

FEP User

yes,they're fine.

I have the same problem, but all the switches are there...

Well then you don't have the same problem. The OP had missing switches.

Is this a coupe/hatch or a convertible? The power wiring is different for convertibles.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

85 gt hatch

Quote Originally Posted by 85.0 View Post
    I have the same problem, but all the switches are there...
    If both PW and PDLs dont work but all switches etc are in place then perhaps you should start at the power source. The main power feed for both PWs and PDLs comes off a small circuit breaker that is mounted directly to the battery side of the starter solenoid. Its a small 'box' with a metal cover and two terminals. One terminal is attached to a metal tab that mounts the entire CB to the solenoid battery stud. The other terminal should have a singe BLK/WHT (black w white stripe) wire. You can test the CB for 'closed' continuity by checking for 12V with a voltmeter, test light, etc, between the terminal with the wire and chassis ground.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

TWR, it sounds like you have a convertible. This is why I was asking whether the OP has
    a coupe/hatch, or a convertible. The coupe/hatch does not have that circuit breaker, the
    windows get their power from a circuit breaker in the fuse 14 position and the locks get their
    power from the circuit breaker in the fuse 12 position.

The convertible windows get their power from the circuit breaker on the starter relay, and
    -also- from circuit 14. On the convertible, circuit 14 is used only to control a relay on the
    driver side cowl, up under the dash, so that the windows don't operate when the key is off.

The convertible power locks are also fed from the circuit breaker on the starter relay. On my
    '85 vert, there is still a breaker in the fuse 12 position, but I don't know of anything that is
    using it. The power locks work fine with that breaker removed.

The convertible window/locks power feed circuits are a direct lift from the 4-door Fairmont.
    Unfortunately, Ford didn't document the system in the Mustang manuals that I've seen.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

The convertible window/locks power feed circuits are a direct lift from the 4-door Fairmont.
    Yes I was basing it on a Fairmont system (circuit 517, etc). Did not know the Mustang system to be that different. Sorry for any bad info.

Unfortunately, Ford didn't document the system in the Mustang manuals that I've seen.
    The Mustang diagrams I have dont really show where the PWs get there power feed from. It does not show the safety relay.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    The Mustang diagrams I have dont really show where the PWs get there power feed from. It does not show the safety relay.
    That's because there isn't one on the coupe/hatch. The whole purpose of the "safety" relay is
    to control power to the windows so they only work when the ignition is on, or in the accessory
    position. Dunno how they came up with that "safety relay" name...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

That's because there isn't one on the coupe/hatch. The whole purpose of the "safety" relay is
    to control power to the windows so they only work when the ignition is on, or in the accessory
    position. Dunno how they came up with that "safety relay" name...
    So kids, etc, cant play (and hurt themselves) in a car that has no adult with the key in the ignition. Thats how Ive always looked at it anyways.

I jumped the CB in position 14 and got the passenger motor going, but only from the passenger button

did all foxbodies use the same window motor

The short answer to your question is no.

The long answer is that many of the motors are interchangeable.

There were hi torque motors, low torque motors, and the convertible rear motors, and probably some I am not aware of!

I have not had any issues swapping the front door motors from all year Fox bodies, but I may have been lucky.

I know at one point when I sold auto parts, Siemens had a replacement motor that was listed for all fox body mustangs and it did work on all of the cars that I tried it on.

I am sure someone else here on the forum has better information than this.

Trey

when i bought mine none of the windows worked and it turned out to be the ignition switch coming apart.