Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default got my marti report

1 of 6. made my day
    of course the heavy duty battery is long since gone
    Last edited by ttopmustangs; 11-16-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Current rides:
    1995 GT Vert
    1980 notch t top project
    2008 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
    Past rides:
    1986 GT T Top , 1981 Cobra T Top
    1994 GT, 1982 GT T Top
    1986 GT X 2, 1984 GT T Top
    1991 calipso green vert,
    1979 Pace Car # 0076

Interesting that Marti Auto says that 18 of the turbo cars came with a transmission other than the 4-speed manual. I am only aware of one manual transmission behind the 2.3T, so that would mean those 18 had an auto, which wasn't supposed to be available behind the turbo engine.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Interesting that Marti Auto says that 18 of the turbo cars came with a transmission other than the 4-speed manual. I am only aware of one manual transmission behind the 2.3T, so that would mean those 18 had an auto, which wasn't supposed to be available behind the turbo engine.
    There must have been two manual transmissions behind the 2.3T on the Pace Car, code '6' which is the bulk of them, and code '5' which were the 18 units. I wouldn't imagine that they put an auto with the 2.3T. Just my deduction.
    Last edited by mustangmania; 10-19-2010 at 08:55 AM.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

Default 79 trans code 5 mystery

Back then, i worked counter at an auto parts store in Detroit. Guy came in for parts.
    Oil or something. Said he had the Mustang carb turbo/auto combo. Got to talking.
    Was very curious since i had just recently bought mine. Believe it was an '80.
    Went outside to watch him pull out into traffic very quickly with it.
    Never seen another. Read a few Fairmonts had them too.
    code 5? Auto? A Canadian manual trans?

79 carb 2.3 turbo, manual trans code 6, is a BW SR4 RAD-Y.
    Last edited by gr79; 10-19-2010 at 10:12 AM.

mine report says manual borg warner
    Current rides:
    1995 GT Vert
    1980 notch t top project
    Past rides:
    1994 GT, 1982 GT T Top
    1991 calipso green vert,
    1979 Pace Car # 0076

Transmission code '5' in '79 is the Tremec 4-speed manual overdrive. That was not behind the 2.3T. That transmission used code '4' starting in '80.

Code '6' is the Borg Warner 4-speed manual.

After going back to the database, I take back what I said about the 18 being an auto. KCoker said he has a code '7' on the VC Label of his 2.3T PC, which is the Hummer 4-speed manual. The other 98 2.3T PCs I have in the database are code '6'.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-19-2010 at 10:19 AM.

One of 10 is the figure that stands out to me - one of 10 Turbo Pace Cars to come to Canada, sounds right. Every Pace Car I've ever seen here in Ontario was a V8 - including mine. As far as I know, less than 500 Pace cars made it to Canada, as Canadian ordered units, and you have one of 10. Nice.

Scratch that '7' code on KCoker's VCL. I asked if he could re-check it and he said it's '6'.

If you look at how Marti Auto narrows down the production, you'll see it's done in such a way that every vehicle you get that type of report for will be 1 of 1, or something in that neighborhood (1 of 6 in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
    One of 10 is the figure that stands out to me - one of 10 Turbo Pace Cars to come to Canada, sounds right. Every Pace Car I've ever seen here in Ontario was a V8 - including mine. As far as I know, less than 500 Pace cars made it to Canada, as Canadian ordered units, and you have one of 10. Nice.
    its too bad the original 2.3 4 spd and 7.5 diff are all gone. the car now has a 5.0 5spd 8.8
    Current rides:
    1995 GT Vert
    1980 notch t top project
    Past rides:
    1994 GT, 1982 GT T Top
    1991 calipso green vert,
    1979 Pace Car # 0076

Where did you get the 1 of 10 figure and the 500 to Canada figure? Just curious.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmania View Post
    Where did you get the 1 of 10 figure and the 500 to Canada figure? Just curious.
    From an article that was written in a Canadian car enthusiast magazine a few years back. I can't recall the exact number, but it was somewhere between 420 to 435 Pace Cars that came to Canada - of the 10,000+ made.

The 1 in 10 estimate is in the neighborhood, but I could be wrong. However, 1 in 36 is closer. All our cars came with Metric speedos - by law, and 1 in 36 is listed in the report. That's not to say a couple of cars could have been shipped to Europe. The real give away is the block heaters and heavy duty batteries, which are essential for Western Canada's notorious cold winters. So I'm thinking somewhere between 1 in 5 to 16 Turbo cars that made it north of the border. Super rare if you can find one.

Me and two other guys I know bought used Pace cars during high school, or just after graduating. All were local Toronto cars, and all were equipped with V8's and 4 speeds. Mine is the only survivor that I know of the three.
    Last edited by hemicuda; 11-05-2010 at 10:36 AM.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Metric Speedo - cool stuff, so only 36 Turbo 4 Pace Car's were specifically built for Canada? Why else would you have a Metric Speedo?
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

the guy i bought my 2.3 pacecar from swore that it was a factory auto,
    and it did have an adapted clutch pedal, but i think someone converted it to automatic in the states before it finally made it to dominican republic, and then here converted to a mazda 5spd crap..
    Marshall - Posting from Dominican Republic

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Metric Speedo - cool stuff, so only 36 Turbo 4 Pace Car's were specifically built for Canada? Why else would you have a Metric Speedo?
    Yes, the metric speedo was definately for export. Where they went, we don't know. The report really says that 36 turbo 4 pace cars had metric speedos. As hemicuda said, some were sent to Canada and some could have been exported somewhere else like Europe. We don't know the exact breakdown of the 36, Marti didn't specify that.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

The 1 in 10 estimate is in the neighborhood, but I could be wrong. However, 1 in 36 is closer. All our cars came with Metric speedos - by law, and 1 in 36 is listed in the report. That's not to say a couple of cars could have been shipped to Europe. The real give away is the block heaters and heavy duty batteries, which are essential for Western Canada's notorious cold winters. So I'm thinking somewhere between 1 in 5 to 16 Turbo cars that made it north of the border.
    Immersion block heaters and heavy duty batteries were not a requirement so some of them could have been ordered without one or both. Not everybody that buys a car, drives it in the Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by colonialmotion View Post
    the guy i bought my 2.3 pacecar from swore that it was a factory auto,
    and it did have an adapted clutch pedal, but i think someone converted it to automatic in the states before it finally made it to dominican republic, and then here converted to a mazda 5spd crap..
    Can you post images of, or codes from, you VC Label (door sticker) and Buck Tag?

Just received my Marti Report (Deluxe) ...

1 out of 449 with 90 DSO. Doesn't say if it's only Pace Cars or all Mustangs but i guess it's the number of Pace Cars for export (Canadian Pace Cars should have a different DSO don't they ?).
    Also says it's one of 1.270 Pace Cars built in Dearborn.

In the features, it list "European Emission System" ... which i guess was basicaly the smog-pump without the cat and maybe some tuning for our (leaded at that time and higher octane) gasoline. Too bad the front license plate bracket listed is long gone.

About ordering/production, it says it was ordered by Ford Motor Company FIGESO in Newark, NJ June, 2nd 1978 ... built on June 27th and released on June 30th, 65 days behind schedule ... doesn't say when it was sold but i have another an original document saying it was on Nov, 5th.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Yes, Ford vehicles sold in Canada had a different DSO (B1 through B8).

That 1 of 1,270 built at Dearborn surely has been pared down from a larger number, e.g. out of the 2,106 5.0L/C4 combos.

If you look at how those production numbers are done, the 2nd line is out of the total on the 1st line, and the 3rd line is out of the total on the 2nd line, and so. The 1 of 449 w/ DSO 90 is surely done that way as well.

Damn. read too fast ... in fact it said it was the 1270th Pace Car built in Dearborn ...
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

If you look at how those production numbers are done, the 2nd line is out of the total on the 1st line, and the 3rd line is out of the total on the 2nd line, and so. The 1 of 449 w/ DSO 90 is surely done that way as well.
    Says exactly :
    Your car was one of :
    10.478 with this paint code
    10.478 with these paint/trim codes
    13.556 with these engine/transmission codes
    449 ordered from this DSO
    10.478 with Indianapolis 500 Replicar
    For the 1979 Mustang 3-door Fastback.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang View Post
    Damn. read too fast ... in fact it said it was the 1270th Pace Car built in Dearborn ...
    That would make more sense, especially considering the unit number (last six of VIN) of your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang View Post
    Says exactly :
    Your car was one of :
    10.478 with this paint code
    10.478 with these paint/trim codes
    13.556 with these engine/transmission codes
    449 ordered from this DSO
    10.478 with Indianapolis 500 Replicar
    For the 1979 Mustang 3-door Fastback.
    All of those "1 of ___" numbers are for ALL of '79 Mustangs hatchbacks, not just the PC.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-03-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Yes ... but that's strange because 449 hatchbacks including Pace Cars for export is a really small number, i'd thought there were way more than that.

For exemple just for France, i know for quite sure (press release) only 2.3l Turbo hatchbacks were sold in '79 and there's a number of 400 floating around since years (quite a rational number according to the price this car was usually sold here) ... i don't think we managed to get most of the hatchback production for export, even if it was the last year for the Mustang in our country.

I don't think that '400' number you've seen is for 2.3T. I would bet it's for 5.0L.

Here's my full Marti Report :

About Ford FIGESO, it wasn't a dealer, FIGESO stands for Ford International General Export Sales Office, that's where almost if not all exports were managed. Now at its address, there's the DOT of New-Jersey, don't know if Ford FIGESO is still there, let alone still exists.

This is where mine was sold Nov, 5th 1979 :

and where it leaved it's first years :
    Last edited by TuxStang; 12-03-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast