Close

Default Please Decode my 83 Dominator

I would like to know if the car originally had TRX suspension

Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Yes on TRX. A few different ways to tell....

'Wheels - Code' is marked "TX".
    'Tires - Michelin' is marked instead of the other brands.
    'Tires - Size' is marked "220 55R" (P220/55R390).

Does or did the car have...

front license plate bracket?
    tinted glass? (factory, not aftermarket)
    light in glovebox, light under hood, and hole in front ashtray for light to shine through?
    premium sound system? ("AMP PULL" knob under dash and "Premium Sound System" emblem on dash bezel)
    tilt steering wheel?
    interval windshield wipers?

Thanks for the info FoxChassis!

I figured it was TRX from what I saw, but couldn't find any confirmation info.

Does or did the car have...

front license plate bracket?
    Likely, was a Missouri car which requires two plates, so there are holes in the front bumper.
    tinted glass? (factory, not aftermarket)
    Is this just the built in tinted Sunvisor, or all the windows? Either way I would say yes they are tinted.

light in glovebox, light under hood, and hole in front ashtray for light to shine through?
    Will have to check these tonight. Don't recall.

premium sound system? ("AMP PULL" knob under dash and "Premium Sound System" emblem on dash bezel)
    Yes to both, there is the "AMP PULL" knob and it does say "Premium Sound System" on the dash

tilt steering wheel?
    Yes

interval windshield wipers?
    [/QUOTE]

Yes

Is there an indicator if the Rear Window Louver was factory? Or was that even an option?
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

There were two different tinted glass options; one for just the front windshield and another for all glass. Windshield-only tint was limited production option # 922 ($38.00*) and complete tint was regular production option # 923 ($105.00*). RPO 923 was recommended with A/C and required with T-roof or convertible. Since other Build Sheets have the same 'Glass - Tint' code that yours has ("T"), and they have been confirmed as having complete tint, I'd say your does as well.

"Factory" louvers would have an "LL" (liftgate louvers) code on the beginning of the fourth line of the Buck Tag. (Before "AC" in your case.) Although louvers were still an option in '83 and '84 I haven't yet seen tags from any cars that had this option.

* Prices according to the Mustang Red Book.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-18-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added LPO/RPO price source

VIN
    1FA = USA, Ford
    B = manual seatbelts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    28 = Mustang 3-door hatchback
    F = 5.0L V8 engine
    9 = VIN check digit
    D = 1983 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly (DAP)
    172271 = 72,271st 1983 Mustang assigned a VIN at DAP

VC Label
    Date - 03/83 = March 1983 scheduled build month
    Exterior Paint Colors - 24 = Red
    DSO - 53 = Kansas City district sales office
    Body - 61B = Mustang 3-door hatchback
    VR - [blank] = no convertible roof
    Mldg- [blank] = not used on '83 GT
    Int. Trim - HA = high-back cloth "Sport Performance" seating (H), Black interior color (A)
    A/C - 4 = Medium Red tape/GT decal colors
    R - 7 = AM/FM radio w/ cassette
    S - C = sunroof
    Ax - Z = 3.08:1 axle ratio w/ Traction-Lok differential
    TR - 2 = T-5 transmission
    HH = E0BZ-5310-H front springs
    HH = D9BZ-5560-M rear springs

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = model line
    172271 = 72,271st 1983 Mustang assigned a VIN at DAP
    61B = Mustang 3-door hatchback
    F = 5.0L V8 engine
    MO = sunroof
    045_
    24 = Red exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    AC = factory air conditioner
    HB = rear defrost
    S = cruise
    GT = GT model
    BR = black rockers
    MBW = manual Borg Warner T-5 transmission
    03 = hood w/ scoop
    V = light group
    ELECTRIC
    -A = Black interior trim color
    NLR

Awesome! Thanks!

No light on ash tray or hood

Light in glove compartment
    Steve
    Previously owned:

The 'Light Group' option included all of those lights. I don't believe they could be ordered individually nor do I believe they were included in other option groups.

The underhood light is very easy to remove from the hood. If the hood was changed that could also be why is MIA.

The light in the front ashtray is visible only through a slot in the metal ashtray. The bulb itself is beneath the console (have to remove the console to see it). The light is hard to see in daylight, and sometimes it's burnt out.

On the Build Sheet, 'Electrical - Light - Light Group' is marked "V". The Buck Tag is also marked "V" at the end of the fifth line.

Okay I will do more digging. I would bet your right on the ash tray its likely burned out.

Thanks again!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Lazy me relied on memory thinking I didn't remember seeing a light on the hood. Because I didn't want to have to climb over and pull the hood latch! I now see from my own pictures that my memory didn't serve me well! I do have a hood light!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Just to update. The car has 3.27 gears From what I find that was actually factory for T-5 83's. Is this what you have seen FoxChassis?
    Steve
    Previously owned:

The "Z" code under the AX column of your VC Label, and the "271D" code on row E of your Build Sheet indicates a 3.08:1 gearset and a Traction-Lok differential. I would bet that your axle tag, if it's still there, would indicate the same (3L08 at the beginning of the the second line).

I have data from nine '83 5.0L Mustangs and eight 5.0L Capris, with scheduled build dates ranging from 10/82 to 08/83, and all of them have a "Z" code under the AX column.

The 3/83 printing of the 1983 Ford Car Facts Book says that the standard ratio with the 5.0L/manual was "to become 3.27:1 as a running change" but it doesn't appear that that happened.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-05-2010 at 08:34 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I will check an let you know.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

As you can see the numbers match with what you stated Foxchassis. Problem is the car requires the correct speedometer gear in the T-5 for a 3.27 gear in the rear. I have the receipt from ford for the correct gear. So I have a mystery. I have yet to open the rear and check part numbers.

Steve
    Previously owned:

It looks to me like the rear has been opened before, perhaps for a change in gearset ratio.

Several other factors dictate what the speedometer driven gear needs to be, i.e. rear gear, speedometer drive gear, and rear tire revs/mile. Besides the possibility of the rear gearset being 3.27:1, do you know for sure that the other two factors (drive gear and tire RPM) are the same as OEM?

The wheels are not currently factory, they are 15x7 Welds. The Speedometer is the FMS 140 Part no E4ZX-17265-C.
    How do I check what gear it has?

As stated I have not opened the rear to confirm the actual ring gear. I likely won't do so, as I am in the process of putting the car up for sale. It is possible that someone, even possibly Summit installed gears in the car. Although their Parts guy says the only gears that they installed were 3.73 or 4.10's from the Ranger pickups in the 7.5" rears.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    It looks to me like the rear has been opened before, perhaps for a change in gearset ratio.

Several other factors dictate what the speedometer driven gear needs to be, i.e. rear gear, speedometer drive gear, and rear tire revs/mile. Besides the possibility of the rear gearset being 3.27:1, do you know for sure that the other two factors (drive gear and tire RPM) are the same as OEM?
    Steve
    Previously owned:

To figure out the rear gearset ratio, lift and support the rear and count the number of revolutions of the driveshaft for every one full revolution of the tire. The ratio is the number of driveshaft revolutions to the number of tire revolutions.

To figure out the number of teeth on the speedometer drive and driven gears, remove the speedometer cable from the transmission and count the number of teeth on each. The drive gear is on the output shaft of the transmission - it might be easier to figure out the color instead of trying to count the number of teeth - and the driven gear is on the end of the speedometer cable.

The RPM of the tire can be acquired from the tire manufacturer or tire distributor. It can be calculated from the tire specs but it's not exact.