Close

Default The 86 Capri returns!

My 86 Capri has been in the restoration shop since July getting a complete makeover. My hasty paint job that I did in early 2005 didn't cut it. The rust was getting bad and you could see my poor bodywork underneath. Mr. Andy Sensenig came to the rescue and gave my favorite car a new look. The Capri now looks like the day it rolled out of DAP. Click the link below to see pictures on my blog!

http://theethansmithblog.blogspot.co...i-returns.html
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Very nice. Any description of the rebuild?
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Looks very nice and im liking the sunroof .
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

As for a description:

I had done a hasty repaint on it back in 2005 to preserve it until I could pay for a good restoration to be done. My bodywork was pretty bad and most of it could be seen through the paint. I had gotten rid of most of the rust, but I didn't seal anything and I didn't do any underbody work. By this spring, the rust was back with a vengeance and there were some actual rust holes forming. That, and I had gotten trapped in a severe hail storm in 2008 with the car so it was all dinged up. It was time for a restoration! I came across an ad on Craigslist from Andy Sensenig saying he restored 1 or 2 cars each summer at his house for a good price. I contacted him and he came over to look at the car and decided it would be a good project for him. I dropped the car off back in early July and he instantly went to town on it. I provided him with Ford factory manuals so he could disassemble it properly and get it all back together in the end. The fenders were so rotted I had to get a new set. By a huge stroke of luck, I found a perfect, rust free set on a 79 Capri in a local junkyard. He was able to strip them and get them to fit perfectly. He stripped ALL the plastic parts on the car and repainted them into the correct semi-gloss charcoal paint. After he was finished with that, he fixed all the rust, and primed the whole car and hand blocked it all to make sure the hail damage was gone. Once the body painting was done, he sealed the whole underside with a brush-on coating and also drilled holes and put motor oil in all the rocker panels and seams and put plugs in the holes. The car probably looks better now than it did when Ford made it. The body lines are straight, the paint is glossy, and I've got the engine running pretty good!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

The sunroof is completely rebuilt with parts from foxmustangrestoration. Talk about an overdue project!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Looks great!!
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Looks good Ethan. hope to see it at Carlisle in 2011.
    did you have all the trim off to paint ?
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250