Close

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

I hate to say it Bill, but the bad may not be all bad. At least you found it before getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a wheel eating the fender....or worse.

It gives you a damn good excuse to go ahead and get the remaining few wish list items, as well as a couple needed items done. Your almost there, so a set of springs and plates will compliment the rest of the car nicely.

It sucks that you will miss Carlisle again, but at least next year you should have all the major things done and be ready to rock.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I hate to say it Bill, but the bad may not be all bad. At least you found it before getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a wheel eating the fender....or worse.

It gives you a damn good excuse to go ahead and get the remaining few wish list items, as well as a couple needed items done. Your almost there, so a set of springs and plates will compliment the rest of the car nicely.

It sucks that you will miss Carlisle again, but at least next year you should have all the major things done and be ready to rock.
    Thanks Brock! That's how I am looking at it now too. So glad I found the issue in the garage and not out on the street!! And this gives me the opportunity to get it really dialed in the way I want it. Then it should be pretty cool car for the rest of the summer. Every little thing I do to it just make me love it even more!! I still walk into the garage and can not believe it's my car!! I do really love this car! It's my favorite to date and that is saying a lot as I have owned a LOT of cars over the years!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Thanks Brock! That's how I am looking at it now too. So glad I found the issue in the garage and not out on the street!! And this gives me the opportunity to get it really dialed in the way I want it. Then it should be pretty cool car for the rest of the summer. Every little thing I do to it just make me love it even more!! I still walk into the garage and can not believe it's my car!! I do really love this car! It's my favorite to date and that is saying a lot as I have owned a LOT of cars over the years!!
    I wish I could say the same. I really am beginning to hate my car.

J/K.....even as irritating as it has been, and still is sometimes, it is one of the very few that I have not wanted to pull the plug on. I see this one being around for a very long time, even if the blood, sweat and tears run more than the car does.
    Brock

I wish I could say the same. I really am beginning to hate my car.

J/K.....even as irritating as it has been, and still is sometimes, it is one of the very few that I have not wanted to pull the plug on. I see this one being around for a very long time, even if the blood, sweat and tears run more than the car does.
    Here's hoping you can exterminate all those electrical gremlins in your car and get it back to be a fun car to drive ALL the time!!

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Here's hoping you can exterminate all those electrical gremlins in your car and get it back to be a fun car to drive ALL the time!!
    I'll get her ironed out this summer. Hell I can't complain too much as I did a massive amount of work in a really short time frame so we could move into the new house. I'm honestly surprised the thing starts and runs at all.

Now if I can finish up the honey do list anytime soon, I can get back in the garage and figure this out. Somehow her list keeps growing though.
    Brock

I'll get her ironed out this summer. Hell I can't complain too much as I did a massive amount of work in a really short time frame so we could move into the new house. I'm honestly surprised the thing starts and runs at all.

Now if I can finish up the honey do list anytime soon, I can get back in the garage and figure this out. Somehow her list keeps growing though.
    Brock that honey do list never stops. Haha. I have been in my house for 19 years and still haven't finished the honey do list!! Haha

--Bill

Default Magnum's 86 vert build thread

Ok so an update on the Vert:
    -- All the front suspension is now new including new Rack n Pinion and SVE Caster/Camber plates. My buddy aligned it for me at his shop and thing drives like a dream!! Opted not to lower it at this time. Wife was against me lowering it and to be honest, i was on the fence myself. Jeff did measure the ride height when he aligned it and said it is sitting about an inch lower than stock already. So good chance this has some sort of lowering springs in it from a previous owner.
    - rear tires were getting bald and wanted to step up a little wider anyway. So decided to buy a pair of 17x9s for the back ( were 8s) and install a new set of Kuhmo 275/40r17s which are 3/4 inch wider than what the BFGs were. Got them on the car and they fill the wheel well with just enough room not to rub in tight cornering. I am very happy with the look and they way it rides !!
    -- haven't got much time to get it out, between home remodeling ( lots of that happening and doing most ourselves ) and a bought of kidney stones , just haven't had time to take it out. Hope to get back in the drivers seat a little this weekend.
    And next on the to do list-- install my correct shorty antenna assembly and polish the car again. Just a good thorough cleaning.

Last edited by magnum517; 07-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    --Bill

Great updates!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Got a new piece for the Vert, bought a custom intake ID plaque. Want to paint the lettering black Any tips ??

--Bill

Nice Intake placque.

I assume the lettering is milled into the pieces. You can spray the entire piece black, then either allow the piece to dry and then either wipe the flat top surface off with paint thinner/reducer to remove the black paint, leaving the lettering in black.

Some will do the wipe down before it drys and that works, but you have to be extra careful to not have your rags/towels too saturated with reducer/thinner otherwise it will seem into the lettering and ruin your work.

You can also paint the piece and then sand the color off if you don't want to use reducer/thinner. You can continue to sand back to a polished or almost chrome finish if so inclined. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Nice Intake placque.

I assume the lettering is milled into the pieces. You can spray the entire piece black, then either allow the piece to dry and then either wipe the flat top surface off with paint thinner/reducer to remove the black paint, leaving the lettering in black.

Some will do the wipe down before it drys and that works, but you have to be extra careful to not have your rags/towels too saturated with reducer/thinner otherwise it will seem into the lettering and ruin your work.

You can also paint the piece and then sand the color off if you don't want to use reducer/thinner. You can continue to sand back to a polished or almost chrome finish if so inclined. Good Luck!
    Thanks! I know I have also used the Vaseline mask method in the past but that was usually for masking raised letters not recessed lettering masking the whole area around them. I may paint the whole piece gray metallic , wipe the straight lines clean then paint the lettering black and clear it. Have to play around and see what I think will look better.
    O yeah it's aluminum and the lettering and lines are milled into it.

--Bill

So between family having some serious health issues and my own personal health issues, I have not been able to get the car out much or post up here much. So I figured an update would be good. Bought a custom intake ID plaque and strut tower brace and installed them both since last update. Also changed the shifter around and ditched the shifter ball for a Hurst T handle. Had it out this past weekend for a cruise with the wife and attend a cruise night. And had it out last month to hit a cruise night. That’s about it unfortunately. Plans for the winter are to try and get it ready to make the trek to Carlisle next year and maybe even FoxToberfest next year. Running turn downs in the exhaust now so want to install some 3 inch tailpipes with cut outs in them so I can still run the turn down sound when I want. Also install the new heater core, fix the dash pad, install some more accurate coolant and oil gauges and maybe even put the AC back in it.
    Here are a few pics:

--Bill

Wow so I have not been on here in a long time. Things have been kinda crazy so this year was kind of a wash due to that and rain every weekend. I have been collecting parts like crazy for some major upgrades to the car. So this winter will hopefully get a lot done to it. Just a few are : install my Systemax intake set up with 42 lb hr injectors , 70 mm TBody, 80mm MAF, delete the FMU, install the tablet mount for my PMS hand held, install my ARM wideband and data logger set up, install my 6 point roll bar, install my full length subframe connectors, install the new guides and quarter window mounts and inner dew wipes, bypass the salt and pepper connectors, tuck the harness, and hopefully do some interior detailing. Plus then in the spring retune my set up for the new intake and bigger injectors.

--Bill

Well got my tablet mount in for the PMS handheld. Really like how that turned out. And intake is painted and ready to install. Probably going to put the roll bar on hold for this winter. Maybe push that off to next winter as I bought it used and it’s going to require a good amount of modifications to make it work the way I want. The intake/injectors/supercharger upgrades are definitely going to happen along with the subframe connectors. Everything else I will have to see how time plays out.

--Bill

FEP Supporter

Looking good! I thought that looked like an old Nintendo Game Boy at first!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Looking good! I thought that looked like an old Nintendo Game Boy at first!
    Lol, it actually does. But it is so much more fun

--Bill

Looks like a fun driving car man. I always look for clean 4 eye verts. Me and the wife need one for those summer road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-N-Y View Post
    Looks like a fun driving car man. I always look for clean 4 eye verts. Me and the wife need one for those summer road trips.
    Thank you. It is a blast to drive! Hope you find a nice Vert, they are awesome on a warm sunny day!

--Bill

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819