Close

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default Magnum's 86 vert build thread

Ok figured I'd start a build thread for my 86 vert. This isnt going to be a fast moving project, family matters need to take priority but will be a steady progression.
    Little bit on the car. Bought it from a 4i member in NJ, saw it in the classifieds here. Got it for an awesome price, non-running. Motor was out of it, heads were missing as were the radiator, driveshaft,shifter and entire exhaust. Convertable top is in need of repalcement. The interior is so-so, dash pad is shot but everything else is usable. Car has white face gauges installed, MAF conversion w 89 A9S PCM, and adjustable clutch cable and steel quadrant. Wheels are a mix match of 2 10 holes, 1 turbine and a minispare LOL. Body is straight and rust free with a so so repaint and a 4 inch cowl hood that fits beautiful but needs painted to match car.
    I have only had the car a short time and the plans changed several times already. Thought of doing a 351w for it, but due to money issues that plan got scrapped till later on. A friend had a good running 5.0L HO in a parts car so my parents bought that for me(thanks mom n dad ) This gives me a good running motor and all the missing driveline stuff for the car except exhaust, driveshaft, and shifter.
    Here it is:
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Default Here are some pics

Coming home

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Default more pics

--Bill

Default The build plan as of 10/10/10

Ok so my plans for the car at this point are as follows:
    -Collect all the parts missing that would be needed to get the car up and running. I.E. clutch, driveshaft, rims n tires.
    -Get the motor out of the parts car and into the vert.
    -remove the luggage rack off the trunk lid.
    -repaint the hood and trunk lid. Maybe respray the whole car.
    -Get a new top for the car.
    -get a full set of MATCHING (LOL) rims for the car.
    -Get the car running and driving so I can find out what else needs attention and make the needed repairs. This way we can also enjoy the car a little while saving up money to do needed repairs and modifications.
    -Get a good gray dashpad or new dash pad for the car. For now will probably cover it with a dash mat so it doesnt look so hideous.
    -Then start collecting the parts to pull the engine back out one winter and go over it with the addition of a B303 cam, GT40 intake, better shorty headers, new bearings and oil pump and all new gaskets.
    -Keep this car forever!! Hopefully!!
    --Bill

Ok traded a set of 295/50r15's for a stock shifter, new set of plug wires, and greasable tubular rear control arms for the car this weekend.
    Also working on trading some of my non-Ford stuff for mustang parts through craigslist, beings money is tight and wife has said no more cash out on mustang till after the holidays.
    Really would like to have the car running and moving on its own power by spring. Have to wait and see how things work out.
    --Bill

Ok so working little here , little there on the vert. Nothing really pic worthy. Cleaning, inventoring parts, working on pulling the motor for the vert. Making the list of needed parts, new and used. Trying to trade off some of my stuff from previous rides for parts for this car. Thats about it.

Question:: Does the stock shifter have a gasket between it and the T5? Or is it just siliconed in place to seal out moisture?
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post

Question:: Does the stock shifter have a gasket between it and the T5? Or is it just siliconed in place to seal out moisture?
    I believe just RTV sealant is all you'll need. That's what I used.

Good luck with the vert build. Have fun & enjoy the progress.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    I believe just RTV sealant is all you'll need. That's what I used.

Good luck with the vert build. Have fun & enjoy the progress.
    THANKS!!
    --Bill

Not to sound stupid, But I still cant believe that I OWN a 4i vert!! I still stand in awe when I walk in the garage and there it sits!! The timing wasnt exactly right to buy it, but due to my wifes support we scrounged up the money and bought it anyway. She is soooo supportive of it, she is great!! With my work getting really slow all the sudden and hers cutting her hours BIG time, it has really hurt us financially. This is making any money for the Vert non-existant till work picks up, but she is sooo cool about it. I was bumming a little and she just says" be patient, it will work, just may take longer than we had planned". Mom and Dad are a big help too!! when the engine deal came up, I worked out a deal to make payments on it. Mom n Dad then went ahead and paid for it in full that way I wouldnt miss out on the deal or "rob peter to pay paul" so to speak.

So thanks to my loving wife, kids, mom, n Dad!! And thanks to all my fellow 4i enthusiasts who have helped with a wealth of info, advice, and parts to get a 4i finally in my garage!!!! THIS SITE ROCKS!!
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    THANKS!!
    No problem Bill.
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Ok havent had much time to work on the Vert, but did sit down on the GT registry and decode the VIN and door sticker. Car is a legit black on black car with gray sport interior. interesting thing was, the car is a factory radio delete car!! Kinda cool IMO. Its got power everything but yet was radio delete.
    Plans for weekend are to get the motor pulled out for in it and start working on cleaning and detailing under the hood a little.
    --Bill

FEP Power Member

My 85 vert is all power but radio delete. I didn't order it that way, I bought it off the lot that way back in Aug of 85. I remember knowing so much more than the salesman about the car. He tried to feed me so much BS but I had studied the literature for 6 months before I bought it. He wrote up the final bill and I made him do it over again to give me the radio delete credit. He was glad to see me drive off the lot!
    85 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    My 85 vert is all power but radio delete. I didn't order it that way, I bought it off the lot that way back in Aug of 85. I remember knowing so much more than the salesman about the car. He tried to feed me so much BS but I had studied the literature for 6 months before I bought it. He wrote up the final bill and I made him do it over again to give me the radio delete credit. He was glad to see me drive off the lot!
    LMAO that is cool!! So radio delete is not that uncommon?? Not a biggie, radio delete plate is long gone and I will have a radio in it for now. Not a stock restoration, but a lightly modded redo for now.
    Whats also cool is that you bought that car BRANDY NEW!!!! I love that!!
    --Bill

Ok just a little update, havent been on in a while. Been super busy w family things and life. House roof leaking, DD jeep needed attention, soccer w kids, anny w the wife, dads Bday, busy busy. BUT did manage to get a spare rear diff for free from my neighbor who had one lying around from a previous project of his. Its an 8.8 posi w 3.73s but all apart. So that was cool! Other than that, nothing new, not much further along. Hope to get back to it after thanksgiving.
    --Bill

Ok so working on the vert a little here and there. Hope to get some things figured out over winter and see where i am at come spring. My debate is this: Do I: 1) Get the car put back together and up and running so we can enjoy it while i collect the parts and finances to completely redo it down the road? Or 2) just tear into it and start to do a ground up redo knowing that w kids goin off to college i wont have the finances to do what i want for a couple years?
    --Bill

I say put it together and drive it.

I said the same thing with mine, but with #'s not working the way I hoped, I've had it sitting for close to two years. This summer I went and grabbed all the parts I had and got it drivable, it's not the pretties but I enjoy it.

post some updated shots..........
    Last edited by 85.0; 11-19-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Keep it up man. I haven't driven mine in over a year and it's been 4 months at the body shop. Just be patient and you will be glad you did when it's finally finished. Post some updated pics, log on to Foxbody forums and look for parts. Keep your mind focused on your project and t will turn out just right and keep you motivated. Good luck and subscribed.
    1985 5.0 Coupe - will eventually be hated by Ford purists

Thanks folks!! I wil get some updated pics after the holiday, have friends and family in that will keep me out of the garage. Not much different than the last pics I hate to say. Just been accumulating parts and working on getting stuff organized to figure out what all i need yet.
    --Bill

Something I am thinking of doing is freshening up the motor a bit while it is out and slipping a B303 cam in it(love the sound and still very drivable). Any suggestions on any matching components that need done w that particular cam, ie injectors, intake(gt40), bigger MAF, headers,ect?
    --Bill

Ok no new pics, nothing really new to take pics of. Worked on pulling more parts off the donor ford tonight in preparation for pulling the motor. Need to get some good pics of an 86 or 89 (mine is converted over to MAF w 89 harness and PCM) to see where things should be laid out under the hood and what I am missing yet.
    Also pulled the cam out of the blown short block that came with the car. Is there anyway to tell if the cam is the original Ford or an aftermarket. There is NO Ford stamping anywhere on it I can find. Just curious as to whether this might be an aftermarket cam or not.
    --Bill

If you have the time while its apart Bill, try to locate an 87-93 intake and considering porting the lower intake and the stock heads. pretty much some free HP that will only take your time without having to spend a lot of $$$ on GT40s or other heads.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Thanks Ed! I do have an 89 intake on the motor that is goin in it so quess that is a plus Still not sure how far i want to tear into this motor, may just reseal whats seaping, detail it and drop it in. Then save up the coin to pull it back out another winter and go through it. Need to keep costs down at this phase as I am not sure what all it is going to need yet.
    --Bill

Default Turbines 4 the vert

Ok so I scored a set of really sweet condition Turbine(87 up) GT wheels for the Vert from a friend of a friend. Bartered some tires I had lying around a cash for them. They came with the center caps, 16 brand new OE ford lug nuts and a brand new set of OE Ford locking lugs.

--Bill

No more mismatched wheels!!
    --Bill

^^ Sweet!!!! ^^
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast