Close

Default What to do with my '84 t-top gt turbo?

Hi everyone,
    Two years ago I became the proud owner of my first Fox Mustang. I was immediately drawn to the t-tops, and that there wasn't any rust. It was a 5 speed, and has an EFI 302 in it. I loved it, and bought it for $800. All it needed was brake work, and paint (painted it in our garage and turned out pretty good). I went about looked at the VIN code this year to figure out what it was originally, and saw that it was a GT turbo. According to this site, 3,798 were made. Of those, how many were t-tops? Is my car rare, and worth bringing back to original? The purist will say yes, but I'm curious as to whether my car will ever be as collectible in original condition as an SVO. Let me know what you think.

Welcome to the site. Pictures please ;-)

As the owner of a 84 Capri RS Turbo that I'm restoring, I'm a little biased, but yest the car has value as is. Not sure how many were t-tops, but those make it even more worth saving.

(Counting down until FoxChassis asks you for the vin and buck tag ;-)
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Banned

welcome to the forum...put a turbo 2.3 back in it and have fun..

"Another" V8 is just ho-hum compared to a 2.3T. I vote go back to the 2.3T, and the original Turbo GT decals too, if you haven't already

These are the '84 Turbo GT production numbers that I have (not verified):

742 convertibles
    3,230 hatchbacks
    3,972 total

If you add that total to '83 Turbo GT production (562 hatchbacks) that I have (again, not verified), there were a grand total of 4,534 Turbo GTs ever made.

ccurtin is right on cue with the VIN and Buck Tag info. I started building a "rare" Fox database a while ago - it's turned into something much bigger now - and I have detailed info on 13 '83 Turbo GTs, 10 '83 Turbo RSes, 83 '84 Turbo GTs (including 31 G.T.350s), and 17 '84 Turbo RSes. I collect VINs and data (images preferred) from/of Vehicle Certification Labels, Buck Tags, Build Sheets, Eminger Invoices, Window Stickers, and Ford CRC "History 999" letters.

Not going to find any T-roof production numbers anywhere, for any year or any model, yet. That info is just not available yet, and there is a possibility that it might not ever be. I can tell you that of the 83 '84 Turbo GTs I have detailed info, 12 of them have a T-roof, including four G.T.350s, which puts it at 14% of production. Not exactly scientific, but it might give you a ballpark to help with your decision.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-07-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Here's a picture guys, sorry about forgetting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 1984mustanger; 10-08-2010 at 12:41 AM.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...3&id=850205620

Here's a link. I posted some pictures on Fox Body Mustangs Facebook group.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1984mustanger View Post
    Here's a picture guys, sorry about forgetting.
    nice looking gt

One more question, were the turbo gt motors coded somehow? If I buy another 2.3T but not original to my car, will I lose the "#'s matching" status.

FEP Power Member

Yes, vin number is on the block, and trans.
    Kendal

Is that vin number just to indicate the year of motor and transmission, or is it connected to the vin code in the car?

It's the last eight characters of the VIN (model year, assembly plant, and consecutive unit number) of the vehicle it was originally installed in. Other vehicles would have the same model year and assembly plant but not the same consecutive unit number. So yes, the VIN on the block could be matched to only one car, i.e. "numbers matching".
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

thanks!