I know this has been discussed in a thread a long time ago, but I wanted to start my own thread.

One of my 86 capris that I bought last spring has an engine knock. It ONLY does this when it gets warm and comes up to temperature. I have had enough exhaust leaks, etc. to know this is a real engine knock. I have done some homework and will run it by you all.

- I have been told to pull each individual plug wire and see if it disappears. I have been told this may indicate a rod knock problem? Any validity to this claim ?

- I have not popped the valve covers off yet. May get to that this weekend or next weekend. If I do not see anything out of the ordinary with the valve springs, retainers or lifters, how the heck do I tell if a lifter is bad ? And - can a lifter cause 'pump-up' problems when warm ? (Remember - I do not have this knock when the car is cold). I have already drained and changed the oil.

- I haven't stuck a screw driver (as a stethescope) on the valve covers yet to determine if it is coming from a particular side of the engine yet. Will definitely do that this weekend.

I know I don't have a lot to go on yet since I have not really done any proper trouble shooting as we speak, but I thought maybe you guys could give me some other things to check before and when I actually start trouble-shooting this weekend. This car is a bone-stock 86 capri (at least from what I can tell and hear). Factory intake, heads, gears, speed density, etc. I think someone has 'cracked' open the motor in the past as the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc., look newer than this 86 should be. But - I strongly do not feel any mods have been made to this car (only a gasket kit replacement) as it has factory heads, and factory cam sound sound.

Thanks,
Jason