Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I like the idea of the new body. And as Pace Fever stated, for someone building a 50-100k track machine, whats another 10k to the price to start off with fresh sheetmetal, with no surprises, no hided rot, and a chassis that is straight and true, vs. possibly starting with a twisted shell.

Also, If it makes anyone feel better, my Dad has worked in a machine shop running a CNC lathe since before I was born, and he told me that in the last year, most of the outsourcing in his shop has ceased, due to the sever quality problems coming from CHINA. And yes, I will point the finger at CHINA, as they can get "cheap" parts shipped to the door for less money that raw stainless steel, before a tool is touched to it, but the quality is GARBAGE.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Quote Originally Posted by 85 GT Kid View Post
    Still dont see them selling many of them. Its gonna cost ATLEAST (and this is wayyyyyy low balling it) $5K for just the SHELL. You can find rust free complete bodies for $1-2K EASY in cali/arizona and then $1K or so to ship it anywhere around the country. So for $2-3K you can have a complete (and sometimes running) car from cali that already has all the parts you need or $5K (again low balling) for a shell that you still need a donor car. Is it just me or is it more logical to just buy one from cali or something
    depending where you live that very well may be a viable option . restoreable fox chassis cars are few and far between where I live.
    it's much easier to build it one piece at a time, then to have a complete car shipped up from the states . yes it probably will cost more in the long run ,but aren't most restorations spread out over several years?

not being disrespectful just my opinion
    mustang gt registry
    http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/inde...eferrerid=3400

F irst
    O n
    R ace
    D ay

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    correct, but only if interest is maintained.
    Absolutely. Hence the *possible* increase in value, otherwise it's just another throwaway-mobile with a strange cult-following.

A new Mustang is about 35k? 40k with some goodies?

If you spent 15k on a new body, and 10k on a new coyote 5.0 crate motor,
    how much more would it cost to build a new HIGH TECH fox body?

Maybe another 20 grand?

That could be tempting to the right person!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    A new Mustang is about 35k? 40k with some goodies?

If you spent 15k on a new body, and 10k on a new coyote 5.0 crate motor,
    how much more would it cost to build a new HIGH TECH fox body?

Maybe another 20 grand?

That could be tempting to the right person!
    if i could have the looks of a 4 eye fox with the technology and comforts of a new 5.0 in it i wuld ask where i sign up for one....the same thing happened with the 93-98 TT supras....there is a huge cult following for good reason for those cars and talk about going up in value...my friend bought a 97 twin turbo 6 speed for 22k...did a few bolt ons to it and 2 years later sold it for 34k....

there was a petition to toyota to remanufacture the MK4 supra with more modern saftey equipment but maintain an OBD2 compliant 2JZGTE driveline....it almost happened but then it was discovered that the company who bought all the sheet metal dies for the MK4 from toyota had them dismantles and sold for scrap...pretty sad

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I don't think that the Dynacorn Fox Bodies will be big sellers and I can't see them changing the market for the Fox Bodied cars. To those who want to build a $50,000 car, these bodies may be a good starting point. However, I think that there's still plenty of exellent examples of our cars (for cheap money) that are available for building. To me, the early '67-'70 bodies that they're manufacturing are for a niche market because there's none of the originals left to build. Thus, those who want to build an early car, will need one of their bodies to start with. With our cars, there's still thousands of them that are available. I think that they'll find that out soon enough. For me, I'd never buy one of their bodies anyway, not when I could buy a rust free unibody from somewhere for less than $2,000.

If they do in fact come out with these though, it would probably signal a lot more parts for these cars. Hood scoops, front facia's, bodyside molding, window moldings, interior plastics, dashboards, center consoles, etc...etc...etc... Those are the parts that really need to be reproduced.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    If they do in fact come out with these though, it would probably signal a lot more parts for these cars. Hood scoops, front facia's, bodyside molding, window moldings, interior plastics, dashboards, center consoles, etc...etc...etc... Those are the parts that really need to be reproduced.

I totally agree.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

jaidedeye:

Thanks for slipping political jabs into this thread...That is always helpful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ricko302 View Post
    jaidedeye:

Thanks for slipping political jabs into this thread...That is always helpful.
    welcome to october 5th........

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showpost...1&postcount=23

Something I was thinking about, the 15k price tag of the classic body shell is certainly
    driven by the law of supply and demand and so will the Fox price. As I said before the
    cost of manufacturing in China is ridiculously low. And the quality can be top notch, or
    it can be crap, that all depends on the engineering specs more than anything. And the
    real prize for Dynacorn is buying the original tooling from Ford. I bet the Fox shells will
    be much cheaper than the older bodies. Perhaps even under 10k. And then steadily go
    up over the years as the demand increases.

Banned

wont DOT have certain standards that have to be met for safety?

Quote Originally Posted by jaidedeye View Post
    wont DOT have certain standards that have to be met for safety?
    That's an interesting question, I don't know the answers, but there are variables.

First, I doubt that it would be subject to any sort of federal / crash test standards.

Are you using this body to build a custom rod from scratch?

In that case I'd imagine all the titling and state inspection laws that pertain to
    a street rod or Cobra kit car would apply to your Fox body car.

Are you using it to replace an existing Ford Mustang body?

This one could vary a lot from state to state.

Does your state allow you to lift and transfer the VIN from the original body?
    Does your state even issue titles or inspections for older model cars?
    Does your state even care?

I'm sure the answers vary a lot from state to state.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    That's an interesting question, I don't know the answers, but there are variables.

First, I doubt that it would be subject to any sort of federal / crash test standards.

Are you using this body to build a custom rod from scratch?

In that case I'd imagine all the titling and state inspection laws that pertain to
    a street rod or Cobra kit car would apply to your Fox body car.

Are you using it to replace an existing Ford Mustang body?

This one could vary a lot from state to state.

Does your state allow you to lift and transfer the VIN from the original body?
    Does your state even issue titles or inspections for older model cars?
    Does your state even care?

I'm sure the answers vary a lot from state to state.
    i would guess it woul be titled as a kit car

yes the collector market is taking a hit...i cant believe how cheap some of the cars on barrett jackson and mecum are selling for. fox chassis cars are already going up in value to the collector. look at the KBB and NADA value of the cars vs what they are really selling for...in most cases at least double the price. that in itself proves that the cars are worth more and collectable even though the economy is taking a big hit...the value of our cars may not be going up as much as we like but it is increasing. fortunately we have a big enough following for the cars to keep the interest alive..that certainly cant be said for the third gen camaros.

ive been in the Air force for over 15 years so i havent really been affected by the economy or job market and my wife is a dental hygienist and has been working for the same doctor for 9 years now...so therefore i really cant comment on taking a hit becuae of the economy..i do feel bad for those who are victims of it though...
    Thanks, US Navy my self but

all i can say is vote republican next time around
    Thanks, US Navy my self but, love the quote.......
    Have:1986 Mustang GT Silver on Red, 5.0, 5 Speed
    1985 Mustang LX Red on Red 2.3 auto The Turd!
    Had: 1990 Thunderbird SC Red on Black 3.8 SC 5 Speed
    1969 Olds Cutlass S 350 Rocket auto, 12.5 Qt. Mile.
    1970 Chevelle SS 396 375 hp First car
    1977 & 79 Camaro Z/28 400 SBC auto
    1985 Camaro IROC Z Stock 5.0 auto
    1987 Camaro IROC Z Stock 5.7 auto
    1983 Olds Cutlass 350 Rocket auto 13.8 Qt. Mile
    1985 Mustang GT Black on Gray, 5.0, 5 Speed R.I.P.

Banned

yes the collector market is taking a hit...i cant believe how cheap some of the cars on barrett jackson and mecum are selling for. fox chassis cars are already going up in value to the collector. look at the KBB and NADA value of the cars vs what they are really selling for...in most cases at least double the price. that in itself proves that the cars are worth more and collectable even though the economy is taking a big hit...the value of our cars may not be going up as much as we like but it is increasing. fortunately we have a big enough following for the cars to keep the interest alive..that certainly cant be said for the third gen camaros.

ive been in the Air force for over 15 years so i havent really been affected by the economy or job market and my wife is a dental hygienist and has been working for the same doctor for 9 years now...so therefore i really cant comment on taking a hit becuae of the economy..i do feel bad for those who are victims of it though...

all i can say is vote republican next time around because the economy was GREAT 5 years ago......

fixed, and IBTL. lol

^

Banned

hey guys,,,the admin asked to please leave polotics out of this...i did after he asked.....

FEP Senior Member

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your idea that foxbodies are growing on trees here in California. I could go on a 500 mile round trip through Los Angeles and not see a single fox heading the other way on the freeway. I always look hoping to see another guy in a fox doing the same thing as I. Almost never happens.

Fox production was nothing compared to the early cars. Over 1 million cars were produced in 65-66 alone. The Fox ran from 79-93, thats a long time to build 2.3 million cars!

If big companies are betting on the Fox to be a hot item you should listen. They have to conduct market research before spending a gazillion dollars on tooling costs for something like an entire chassis build.

Buy the best one you can afford immediately before the price triples before your very eyes.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

If only they would do a Capri body!

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting your idea that foxbodies are growing on trees here in California. I could go on a 500 mile round trip through Los Angeles and not see a single fox heading the other way on the freeway. I always look hoping to see another guy in a fox doing the same thing as I. Almost never happens.

Fox production was nothing compared to the early cars. Over 1 million cars were produced in 65-66 alone. The Fox ran from 79-93, thats a long time to build 2.3 million cars!

If big companies are betting on the Fox to be a hot item you should listen. They have to conduct market research before spending a gazillion dollars on tooling costs for something like an entire chassis build.

Buy the best one you can afford immediately before the price triples before your very eyes.
    I have to agree about never seeing Fox mustangs. I cruise maybe 3 times a
    week in the Stang, and I drive a lot for my work, I see a lot of newer Stangs
    but I'm always disappointed how few Foxes I see. When I stop to think how
    many have been wrecked, rusted out, parted out, and turned into race cars,
    I wonder how many foxes are really out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 85 GT Kid View Post
    Still dont see them selling many of them. Its gonna cost ATLEAST (and this is wayyyyyy low balling it) $5K for just the SHELL. You can find rust free complete bodies for $1-2K EASY in cali/arizona and then $1K or so to ship it anywhere around the country. So for $2-3K you can have a complete (and sometimes running) car from cali that already has all the parts you need or $5K (again low balling) for a shell that you still need a donor car. Is it just me or is it more logical to just buy one from cali or something
    It's not just you. But for some reason the NE guys would rather spend countless hours patching up a swiss cheese rust bucket; than save a clean western car from the crusher.

But 1k for vehicle transport is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much
    1981 T-top coupe - FEP #28
    1990 GT - H/C/I
    2003 GT daily driver - bolt-ons 252hp/292tq rw

Quote Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
    It's not just you. But for some reason the NE guys would rather spend countless hours patching up a swiss cheese rust bucket; than save a clean western car from the crusher.

But 1k for vehicle transport is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much
    Its not even a money thing for me when it comes to buying western cars, its not being able to inspect what your buying. I once bought a 68 nova from AZ and had it shipped. After receiving the car and striping the paint, it revealed the whole side of the car was torn off and needed a new full quarter, door and rocker. At the time none of the stuff was available new so I had to once again order used stuff from the west. Its scary buying things you can't see on your own IMO.
    78 Fairmont 2 door Boxtop
    81 Fairmont 2 door Boxtop (For Sale)
    86 TX DPS Coupe- 5.0 5 speed (Sold)
    80 Coupe- Carbed 4.6
    93 Hatch- 5.0 5 speed
    2011 Grabber Blue Shelby GT 500
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra coupe (Race car) Sold!!
    2003 Redfire Cobra vert (Street Beast)

WWW.STEELCITYSTANGS.COM

Banned

ive learned when buying cars sight unseen or with only pictures that 50 percent of sellers arent telling you everything..ive driven 10-12 hours to buy parts and cars just so i see them with my own eyes...

Banned

my "super solid rust free" 82 GT from down south needed a new roof when it got home. But the rest of the car was beautiful!

When dealing long distances I've found the following helpful:

- Always expect that some things will have gone unmentioned or "forgotten" by the seller etc.
    - Their idea of good is not always the same as yours
    - If you want it bad enough then the little extras shouldn't bother you too much. If its something major then discuss it with the seller after the fact.
    - Find friends or fellow forum members that are closeby, perhaps they would be willing to look at it for you. Also ask them to inspect and document specific spots that may be of a concern to you, as cars will always look better in pics.
    - IF someone does inspect the car for you, don't base your decision on their opinion by asking "what do you think", as its you who is interested in the car, not them.
    - If buying a done car, consider hiring an impartial third party or professional agency to inspect the car

I've bought three varying project cars long distances, and the only time I was disappointed was when the roof got crushed on the 85 Capri I had shipped and that was neither the fault of the seller or the friend who inspected it, it was the fault of the shipper.
    Last edited by eeprete; 10-11-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast