Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FEP Power Member

While I posted info on a vinyl top supplier, you might search for a carriage roof company. I seem to recall several companies offering these years ago. They might also be listed under coach builders.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    While I posted info on a vinyl top supplier, you might search for a carriage roof company. I seem to recall several companies offering these years ago. They might also be listed under coach builders.
    Thanks KevinK; getting the top itself done isn't an issue; I have used a resto shop in Denver NC for my Mustangs and they could do this no problem. The bigger issue is locating the parts we would need such as the bright moldings for the A pillars and the trim around the inside of the rear window (which they could probably fabricate). But I also need a nice 80 - 82 hardtop first!

Does anyone here currently own, or know someone who currently owns, a 1980, 1981, or 1982 carriage roof Mustang, with the carriage roof still on the car?

So no one on here has a 80 - 82 carriage roof Mustang, or knows of someone who does?

Carriage Roof Mustang coupes are one of my all time favorites. I actually looked at one back in 1981, but it was not to be. They're getting hard to find. Either they are in excellent condition and the owner won't part with it, or the top needs replacing and people strip it back to being a standard hardtop. If I could find one close by...
    Name:  OIP (1).jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  26.2 KBName:  Rab1e60e4206c5676285bfab50e386377.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  155.9 KBName:  Re757b62428f906a7d9140ce95e754836.jpeg
Views: 235
Size:  366.9 KB
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    If I could find one close by...
    If I could just find one at all...
    Last edited by Cokeologist; 06-25-2021 at 06:11 AM.

The do look sharp on these cars. Could even add a air roof.
    Looks better than the odd looking vinyl top option by covering up the coupe side louvers.
    Auto trim shops replace simulated and real conv tops, vinyl all the time. Same as adding one?
    Canvas vs vinyl grain material. Plus any special trim.
    Fav ad pics:
    Name:  hotpants 1979-1980-1981-ford-mustang-1.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  15.8 KB
    Name:  hotpants 1979-1980-1981-ford-mustang-1 (1).jpg
Views: 589
Size:  7.1 KB

So, my obsession with 1980 - 1982 carriage roof Mustangs has taken me down a path of cataloging all carriage roof Mustangs that I could locate on the internet, including on this forum. I have created a database of almost 40 cars, with year, VIN, body color, carriage roof color, interior color, engine, status, and source for each (to the extent available). If there is any interest, I am happy to create a new thread and post the list to this section of the forum.

If you have data (codes) and documentation (door tags, buck tags, window stickers, build sheets, owner cards, etc.) I can add them to the database. I can also share with you what I have, if you don't already have it.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    If you have data (codes) and documentation (door tags, buck tags, window stickers, build sheets, owner cards, etc.) I can add them to the database. I can also share with you what I have, if you don't already have it.
    Thanks; I don't have data codes or documentation such as that listed; at most I have VIN and other info I was able to pick up from observation. I do, however, have full documentation on the 1981 carriage roof Mustang that my dad purchased brand new, and I am happy to share it with you. I will send you a PM.

If others are interested in seeing a list of the carriage roof Mustang info I was able to compile, I will monitor responses in this thread and then will post a new thread with that info if there is sufficient interest. Thanks.
    Last edited by Cokeologist; 06-25-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeologist View Post
    So, my obsession with 1980 - 1982 carriage roof Mustangs has taken me down a path of cataloging all carriage roof Mustangs that I could locate on the internet, including on this forum. I have created a database of almost 40 cars, with year, VIN, body color, carriage roof color, interior color, engine, status, and source for each (to the extent available). If there is any interest, I am happy to create a new thread and post the list to this section of the forum.
    One last try; is anyone is interested in the list of carriage roof Mustangs I have compiled?

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeologist View Post
    One last try; is anyone is interested in the list of carriage roof Mustangs I have compiled?
    I love Carriage Roof Mustangs. I'd like to see what you came up with.
    Bryan

I love Carriage Roof Mustangs. I'd like to see what you came up with.
    Thanks; I just posted the list here:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...09#post1939609

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Love to find an all-original Carriage Roof 5.0L/4speed, TRX, in Black with a White Top and Black interior. Only yr this combo was possible, 1982. Let's find it!
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 07-07-2021 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Habs won!

Do you have this one in your list?
    https://youtu.be/r6rKwH3r8Pk
    Bryan

Do you have this one in your list?
    https://youtu.be/r6rKwH3r8Pk
    Yes indeed; VIN: 0F04D262808, thanks

-There is a 5.0 swapped '81 on B.a.T. now that was formerly a carriage roof, according to the before photos of the car. Of course,
    he stripped it off......

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-ford-mustang-3/
    '87 Turbo Coupe - 660 mile original
    '86 Turbo Coupe - 74k mile stripper

Quote Originally Posted by shorangerbird View Post
    -There is a 5.0 swapped '81 on B.a.T. now that was formerly a carriage roof, according to the before photos of the car. Of course, he stripped it off......

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-ford-mustang-3/
    Thanks very much for this info; confirmed via pics and codes on door data label that is car was indeed a carriage roof Mustang. I have added it to the other thread. Sad to see that this one has lost its unique roof treatment as well. Still looking for one in nice condition with carriage roof intact. Keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    Thanks very much; I really appreciate that you are on the watch for carriage roof Mustangs and took the time to post this message. Unfortunately this Mustang does not have a carriage roof; it has a regular vinyl roof.

A carriage roof Mustang can be distinguished from a Mustang with a regular vinyl roof in that a carriage roof Mustang has bright A pillar covers, does not have the fake vent / sail panel behind the rear quarter windows, and the fact that its rear window appears to be smaller due to the surrounding fabric.

But please continue to keep a watch and post when you come across one!

FEP Member

Thanks for the clarification ��

So the rear quarter louvers were there, they were just under the carriage roof.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    So the rear quarter louvers were there, they were just under the carriage roof.
    Apparently! Still love to know why the seller doesn't have titles for any of these desert-gems

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Thanks very much; I really appreciate that you are on the watch for carriage roof Mustangs and took the time to post this message. This one is already included in the Listing of Known Carriage Roof Mustangs thread; it is VIN 0F2B164966.

Please continue to keep a watch and post when you come across another one!
    Last edited by Cokeologist; 07-25-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast