Close

Default 1985 Mustang GT Convertibles Production Numbers

I was checking out this 1985 Mustang GT Convertible on EBAY,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6236

Owner states only 5,549 were GT convertibles. Most convertibles were produced with automatic transmissions making the 5-speed convertibles even rarer. You can visit the Mustang registry for more details on these cars at: www.mustanggt.org/85gt.htm

I think this gentleman got his numbers mixed up, The numbers I got from the 1985 Mustang GT Registry for 1985 Mustang GT Convertibles built with automatics is 2,169. Lets see Subtract that number from 5,549 and you get 3,380 with 5 Speeds... With the 5 Speed you got two different axle ratios
    (2:73 and the Optional 3:0. I think the Optional 3:08 with 5 Speed might be the lowest production numbered 1985 Mustang GT Convertible, But still Ford Built 3,380 Five Speeds!

Cannot wait till Kevin Marti releases his 1985 Mustang Production Numbers...

The Truth is Out Their!

Is this "1985 Mustang GT (Convertible) Registry" the one started by Terry McCoy?

The number of '85 GTs registered (as of 07/30/10) at MustangGT.org is a much higher percentage of manuals than automatics -- 84% w/manual vs. 16% w/automatic, or about a 5:1 ratio. Although registry entries don't necessarily equate to actual production, it's a probably a pretty good gauge.

It would make sense than there were less automatic convertibles produced, for at least two prominent reasons...

1. The automatic transmission was an extra-cost option ($582, exlcluding any discounts).
    2. The automatic transmission required EFI (CFI), and that engine's HP and torque ratings were lower than those of the 4V engine.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thats why you dont see a lot of 85 AOD cars. Go one year newer and you'll see a bunch more AOD 86 5.0s cause the power difference wasnt much.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

Quote Originally Posted by 85 GT Kid View Post
    Thats why you dont see a lot of 85 AOD cars. Go one year newer and you'll see a bunch more AOD 86 5.0s cause the power difference wasnt much.
    '86 was the first year that the auto was rated the same HP/torque as the manual.

Is this "1985 Mustang GT (Convertible) Registry" the one started by Terry McCoy? Yes! FoxChassis

Look Forward to ordering the Deluxe Marti Report, When He is able to do them.

Remember there is two CFI motors! 165 HP and the 180 HP.

85GT302
    Last edited by 85GT302; 09-25-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT302
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    Is this "1985 Mustang GT (Convertible) Registry" the one started by Terry McCoy?
    Yes! FoxChassis
    I assume you ordered a report from Terry then, and that "2,169" figure (# of '85 GT convertibles built w/ AOD) was on the report?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I assume you ordered a report from Terry then, and that "2,169" figure (# of '85 GT convertibles built w/ AOD) was on the report?
    Yes! He also listed my Mustang GT CVT as #1549 out of the 5549 Built. Do not know how accurate it is! Kevin Marti Delux Report (When Ordered) will verify those numbers.

1. The automatic transmission was an extra-cost option ($582, exlcluding any discounts).
    2. The automatic transmission required EFI (CFI), and that engine's HP and torque ratings were lower than those of the 4V engine.
    Hey Fox Chassis.. How much was the Medium Canyon Red Metallic (2A) Glow Paint for the 1985 Mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT302 View Post
    Yes! He also listed my Mustang GT CVT as #1549 out of the 5549 Built. Do not know how accurate it is! Kevin Marti Delux Report (When Ordered) will verify those numbers.
    The only 5.0L convertible number I have is LX and GT combined, and that is because they have the same VIN code, and that number does not match what Stew Jones has (which likely matches what Terry McCoy has) or what Peter Sessler has published in the Foxbody Mustang Recognition Guide and the Mustang Red Book.

What I've come up with:

Total '85 production = 157,944
    P26M (5.0L notchback) = 2,304
    P27M (5.0L convertible) = 7,101
    P28M (5.0L hatchback)= 39,721
    P28T (SVO) = 2,091*

What Sessler says in the Red Book and the FBMRG (gives credit to Stew Jones in the latter):

Total = 156,514
    P26M = 2,284
    P27M = 6,989
    P28M = 39,460
    P28T = 1,951*

*The SVO Owners Association (SVOOA) says there were 1,954 SVOs made in '85, which is credited to Ford Special Vehicle Operations.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Hey Fox Chassis.. How much was the Medium Canyon Red Metallic (2A) Glow Paint for the 1985 Mustang?
    I'll have to check later to see if I have accurate info on that price.

What Sessler says in the Red Book and the FBMRG (gives credit to Stew Jones in the latter):

P27M = 6,989
    Thats the Number I have on my Stew Jones Report for my 85 GT CVT. I guess if Terry has all the VIN Numbers from the Source @ Ford is true! There would be 1440 LX 5.0 Mustang Convertibles out their! I have the Deluxe Report for My 70 Mustang Mach 1 from Kevin.... I cannot wait till he releases the Deluxe reports for the 85 Model year from his data from FORD! That is a source I think we can trust! Then Compare it to the data from Stew & Terry to see who is accuate?

85GT302
    Last edited by 85GT302; 09-25-2010 at 10:47 PM.

I'll have to check later to see if I have accurate info on that price.
    I have seen a Eminger Invoice for a 84 GT CVT in the same color and it was listed as 54.00 and 45.08! Just have to wait till Kevin gets his Marti Reports ready for the 85 Model Year, as my Eminger Invoice is MIA!

85GT302

I may have seen one or more '85 window stickers or Eminger invoices with the 2A paint code. I will have to check later.

There were no "glow" paints in '85. Last year for that was '84.

There were no "glow" paints in '85. Last year for that was '84.
    ????? According to the 1985 Dealer Launch Guide, Page 4 & 8 1985 Mustang Rapid-spec Ordering Guide Lists --Glow Colors--* Medium Caynon Red Glow 2A

* Extra Cost Metallic Red Glow

Page Dated 5-11-84

That guide was printed before the '84 model year ended. Apparently Ford was going to carry that paint over to the '85 model year but never did.

If you look at other literature printed later in the '84 calendar year and early in the '85 calendar year (Color & Trim Selections, Fleet Buyers Guide, Showroom Sales Brochure), there was no mention of a "glow" paint.

'84 2A = Medium Canyon Red Glow
    '85 2A = Medium Canyon Red Metallic

Thanks For the Info FoxChassis! Guess my info was outdated!

86 50CPRI

Thats the Number I have on my Stew Jones Report for my 85 GT CVT. I guess if Terry has all the VIN Numbers from the Source @ Ford is true! There would be 1440 LX 5.0 Mustang Convertibles out their! I have the Deluxe Report for My 70 Mustang Mach 1 from Kevin.... I cannot wait till he releases the Deluxe reports for the 85 Model year from his data from FORD! That is a source I think we can trust! Then Compare it to the data from Stew & Terry to see who is accuate?

85GT302
    I guess my '85 2A LX 5.0 CFI/AOD Vert starts at 1 of 1440? Cool!! Oh, and it has Tan Interior, too.

????? According to the 1985 Dealer Launch Guide, Page 4 & 8 1985 Mustang Rapid-spec Ordering Guide Lists --Glow Colors--* Medium Caynon Red Glow 2A

* Extra Cost Metallic Red Glow

Page Dated 5-11-84
    The Rapid-Spec Ordering Guide I have dated 7-27-84 states Medium Canyon Red Metallic 2A and shows no reference to Glow Colors.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I have seen a Eminger Invoice for a 84 GT CVT in the same color and it was listed as 54.00 and 45.08! Just have to wait till Kevin gets his Marti Reports ready for the 85 Model Year, as my Eminger Invoice is MIA!

85GT302
    If you look at the window sticker in my album, you will see that there was no extra charge for 2A in '85.

You are right Bob, 2A Medium Canyon Red no cost option! Now just waiting for Kevin Marti to get his database up and running so I can order a Window Sticker and or Elite Report.

85GT302

The only way 2A would have been an extra cost was if it was a "glow" paint, which wasn't available in '85.