Close

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My '80 Fairmont

Been driving it around town on short 10 to 15 mile runs. Very happy with it so far. The Fitech has had me nervous just because of what I've seen on a couple FB forums, but it hasn't given me any problems. I'm going to tackle the heater core replacement this weekend. Today was a bust because life has other ideas what I should be doing, but I'll start that tomorrow. i also got the lines to move the rear brake connection to the center of the rear axle. That will let me complete the rear portion of the exhaust. Speaking of exhaust, I'm running Magnaflows and I have to say they sound very good. I wish I could post pics, but the site keeps telling me I've exceeded my allotment of space. Maybe I can post a vid.https://www.facebook.com/gary.matthy...ater&ifg=1

Halfway through heater core r & r. Whoever designed this should be flogged. Taking this opportunity to change all the bulbs in the instrument cluster.

Agreed. I'd still rate front springs worse, but that's definitely a strong #2. Pun intended.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Once I figured out it's more work to try to just move the dash out of the way, the job became way less
    stressful. Now I just drop the column, and pull the entire dash out instead of trying to work around it.
    It's surprisingly easy, once you understand how Ford installed these at the factory. Instrument cluster
    doesn't even have to come out, or the HVAC controls, or the radio, or...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Got it done. My car has cruise control which means 2-piece speedo cable. dis-connected it under the hood instead of the back of the speedo. It's easier if you know where all the bolts/screws are. I have a Chilton's manual which has incorrect drawings, but it got done.

With some kind help from fellow member Patrick Olsen, I can now post pictures. Thanks again
    Engine in it's new home.Name:  20161115_155137.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  154.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gmatt; 10-27-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Side notes: 1) The original DuraSpark module works fine with the V8, so the Motorcraft one that I bought will be a spare.
    2) I am using a Hughes 2500 rpm stall convertor with the original C4 trans that was behind the 3.3 6 banger. It is working just fine and even broke the tires loose on a 1-2 upshift. I was a little nervous about this trans, but so far, so good.

Fan installation. This is the Flexalite universal fan, so I had to make brackets for it. I used upper radiator brackets from a 4cyl fox. They already have mounting tabs for an electric fan. Lots of room.
    Name:  20170603_194138.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  117.8 KB
    Last edited by gmatt; 09-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    With some kind help from fellow member Patrick Olsen, I can now post pictures. Thanks again Pat!
    Fuel tank modification.Name:  P1260719.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  121.5 KB
    Engine in it's new home.Name:  20161115_155137.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  154.2 KB
    Hey, that is a nice looking engine! Glad to hear it runs well.

Thanks John!

Any new updates?
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Nothing new. I haven't been driving it a lot, but when I do, it puts a smile on my face. I've still got a list of things to do, probably always will.

I also have a list of things I need to do and a list I want to do. Cant seem to get my free time to sync up with either list.
    Looking forward to April.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    I also have a list of things I need to do and a list I want to do. Cant seem to get my free time to sync up with either list.
    Looking forward to April.
    I hear ya. My problem is free time sync-ing with decent weather because I don't have a garage.

I will say a significant reason I haven't driven it more is that I'm trying to build trust in the Fitech fuel injection, so I just go on short drives(10 miles or less). I haven't had a single problem with mine and the car runs amazing, but I've seen a lot of negative stuff on a couple Fitech dedicated pages. Maybe those are just the squeaky wheels or guys who don't follow instructions, but they have me a little spooked. It's really fun to drive and has surprised me with the throttle response and acceleration.

Finally got tires for the Riken wheels. Pics here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...63#post1880663

Also, replaced the battery with a higher amp hour rating because I was having slow cranking on a warm restart. Always started cold, no problem. Don't know if the fuel injection was causing this, but the new battery solved it. I plan on driving a lot more this year.

Installed some small mechanical gauges in the dash. Not 100% happy with the install, but they're in and they work. I'm getting to be an expert at dis-assembling the dash. I understand why guys hoard parts; I could have easily destroyed the bezel. It took some grinding on the dash hull to get the bottom gauge(volts) to fit. And according to my oil pressure gauge, she's putting out 50-60 psi at idle. Doesn't change when revving engine. The temp gauge pretty much matches what the efi hand-held reads.
    Name:  P1320638.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  108.5 KB
    Last edited by gmatt; 05-20-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Installed C/C plates. Pretty easy job. Took it for a ride; noisier than I expected. I guess I really didn't think about that aspect when I decided to get them. i'll get used to it though.

Installed some small mechanical gauges in the dash. Not 100% happy with the install, but they're in and they work. I'm getting to be an expert at dis-assembling the dash. I understand why guys hoard parts; I could have easily destroyed the bezel. It took some grinding on the dash hull to get the bottom gauge(volts) to fit. And according to my oil pressure gauge, she's putting out 50-60 psi at idle. Doesn't change when revving engine. The temp gauge pretty much matches what the efi hand-held reads.
    Name:  P1320638.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  108.5 KB
    This was another deciding factor for me when I decided to make the ash-tray gauge pod...basically was afraid of destroying the bezzle!

Good progress!

Rear lower torque box reinforcements installed today. Just bolted them, might weld later. Easy job with a modification necessary for the control arm bolt to fit. Did the early Foxes have a different location for this bolt? About 1/2" higher?

You need to remove some of the sound deadener for this. This stuff was loose, I was able to pick off large sections just picking at it with my hands.

I have the upper reinforcements for another day and subframe connectors too.

Little by little. I know how that goes!

FEP Senior Member

You planning on weld in subframe connectors? I'm planning on the MM connectors, but I need to find a shop to install them. I don't feel like laying on my back welding those things in.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    You planning on weld in subframe connectors? I'm planning on the MM connectors, but I need to find a shop to install them. I don't feel like laying on my back welding those things in.
    Yes, I'm going to weld them. Seems like most things on this car involve crawling under it, lol. I still have to move the rear brake line and install tailpipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    Little by little. I know how that goes!
    My wife made me promise to work on it at least an hour every day. Sometimes the motivation is lacking, especially when it's hot, but it helps to see other guys working on their stuff.

Still can't believe how easy it was to remove the sound deadener. It practically fell off on it's own.
    Name:  P1360587.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  130.1 KB Name:  P1360588.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  115.7 KB

My wife made me promise to work on it at least an hour every day. Sometimes the motivation is lacking, especially when it's hot, but it helps to see other guys working on their stuff.
    I wish my wife asked the same of me! Usually it's a guilt trip for not spending enough time with her. So basically I get 2hr every Monday when the Bachelor or Bachelorette is airing...and I worked out that Sunday is my day to work on my hobby. I try and not get out there earlier than 1, that way we eat lunch together after church and hang out for an hour or so...and I try and pick up by 4-4:30...but with recording it for YouTube episodes, I'm certainly not super efficient when I'm constantly trying to move a camera. Sometimes you punt the good camera angle to just get some stuff done. But yea, from Feb-Oct or so I average about 5hr a week to work on it, so maybe I'm not that far off of your schedule.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast