Close

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My '80 Fairmont

Well, there's a 5.0/C4 under the hood this morning!

Got any pics ?

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Well, there's a 5.0/C4 under the hood this morning!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Got any pics ?
    For some reason, I can no longer post pics.
    Still lots of work to be done. Fuel system, install radiator, exhaust, figure out trans linkage, install accessories.......

I put some pics up on the Foureyed Pride fb page.

Did some test fitting of the trans linkage today. Had to remove the steering shaft and the chassis bracket that holds one end of the shift bellcrank to install the driver side header. Then put the bellcrank bracket and linkage back in along with the bracket that attaches to the bellhousing. Can't believe my eyes, it fits! Still have to put the steering shaft back in, but this is major for me. I didn't think it would fit. And only one bolt hole on the bellhousing bracket lines up, but that's a minor problem. NO interference with the ball and socket on the header. I'm using Ford Motorsport stainless shorty headers. The ones that fit the 'P' heads and a MAC offroad x pipe.

I just re-installed the steering shaft(stock) and it fits too, with no interference.

Congratulations!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I can confirm that when doing this swap; 5.0 V8 using I6 k-member; the original transmission cross-member lines up just fine with no modifications. This is with a C4 transmission. Now, it won't work if you are installing shorty headers/x-pipe/dual exhaust. For that you need the 'double hump' crossmember which has the wider mounting tubes. Those need to be shortened to fit the chassis mounting brackets which is really not a big deal, but it fits perfectly after doing so.

edit: Just thought it was worth mentioning; the stock mounting bolts that attach the crossmember to the frame brackets are a smaller diameter than what the double hump crossmember will accept(1/2"). I enlarged the holes in the frame brackets to accept a 1/2" diameter bolt. Man, the sheet metal used to form the brackets is hard! Had to sharpen my drill bit 3 times.

Also, when using an exhaust designed for a later model Fox chassis, the hangers for the x-pipe don't match up to the trans-mounted hanger bracket because of the crossmember being mounted to the frame further forward in the car. Will take some backyard engineering.
    Last edited by gmatt; 08-24-2016 at 07:30 AM.

Been very busy since the last time I posted. Haven't had chance to work on the Fairmont for a variety of reasons; my parents have both been in and out of the hospital the last 3 months. My Dad has lymphoma and the radiation treatments were too much for him(he's 86 yo), he's now at home on hospice care, pretty much confined to a hospital style bed. Mom has had her problems too, related I think, to Dad's hospitalization(stress). Couple that with 10 hour workdays for me and not much gets done at home. We finished the job I was working on earlier this week and as I have gotten a nasty head cold, I decided to take this week off. Since I have to stay away from my parents while I'm ill, I finally got some things done around here. My daughter drove through her brake pads, so I had to fix brakes. My son's rear brake line on the Ranger rusted through, so I installed all new brake lines from the distribution block back to the wheel cylinders. My Crown Vic needed a new power steering pump, done.

So, finally to the Fairmont. Pulled the fuel tank to modify for fuel injection.

Got after it today too. Finished hooking up trans linkage(needed a little engineering).

I'm happy the swap went well using the 6 cyl. K member.
    It puts a smile on my face every time I hear about this swap and everyone who does it has success. Of course there's little bumps in the road while doing this but there always bumps in any major upgrades on any vehicle.
    Congratulations on your project!

Fuel injection? I approve!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Just picked up my fuel tank from the shop. Modified with -8AN pick up and -6AN return lines. They were going to put the lines in the original pick/sender assembly but couldn't fit them, so they just put the new lines directly in the tank. I can now proceed with installing frame mount fuel pump, filter and new fuel supply and return lines.

Installed the tank, made and installed bracket for fuel filter and pump. Fabricated and installed supply and return fuel lines(3/8" steel). All fittings are AN style. Wiring for the pump is next, but it's getting cold here now and I don't have a garage. I hate to wait till spring to finish.

Any progress on this yet?
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

No, and I'm getting antsy. Finally warming up, but rainy yesterday and today(Saturday and Sunday). Not having a garage doesn't help. Soon.

FEP Senior Member

hang in there ,you can do it.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

It was pretty decent last saturday(4/1), so I started on the wiring for the fuel pump. I'm installing a relay from Ron Francis and an oil pressure switch, also I got an inertia switch from a Mustang wiring harness I had laying around. Anyone know a good source for 'hot in run' in the engine compartment harness?

OK, update time. This has been very frustrating. Long story short, the wiring crimp in the Ron Francis fuel pump relay was defective. I have spent hours making the wiring harness, installing components, only to have no voltage at the pump connection. More time troubleshooting and tracing voltage to find the problem and rewire everything. I have decided to eliminate the relay, as FiTech's instructions say it is not needed. At least now, when I turn the key, the pump comes on. It shouldn't be long now. I want to flush the tank and lines before sending fuel to the throttle body. After that, install electric cooling fan, and work on exhaust. Then I can get started on the interior, but at least it should be driving.

Well, finished the FiTech install yesterday. Turned the key, fired right up, settled in to a nice idle. Not ready to drive yet, some loose ends to tie, should be soon though.

Installed electric fan(flex-a-lite black magic) and mufflers today. Took it for a short drive; whoa nellie!, this thing runs good!

Congrats! That's a nice milestone!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, showing signs of the dreaded heater core failure. Coolant running out of the heater box drain port. I have a new core on the shelf though.

Any updates? Driving yet?
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast