Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My '80 Fairmont

Thanks. The tire size is up too. 225/60/15 vs. 215/70/15

I really love the phone dial wheels on the Fairmont, they look great. I think I will so the same.

I ran into this problem with the steering column, but vise versa. I have an 83 GT, no tilt, it has a D shaft. I wanted a tilt, but a splined shaft, as I wanted to use an early sport wheel. 83 was first year for D shaft. I was able to find a tilt splined shaft off and 82 T-bird fox, but it was column shift. Turned out it was a simple fix, just removed C-clips pretty much. So I learned to look for any fox 83 up for D shaft, unless they are different from 87 up, I never messed with anything newer than 4 eyed, so I am not sure about the horn button. Have you figured anything out lately concerning earlier posts?
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 02-08-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    I ran into this problem with the steering column, but vise versa. I have an 83 GT, no tilt, it has a D shaft. I wanted a tilt, but a splined shaft, as I wanted to use an early sport wheel. 83 was first year for D shaft. I was able to find a tilt splined shaft off and 82 T-bird fox, but it was column shift. Turned out it was a simple fix, just removed C-clips pretty much. So I learned to look for any fox 83 up for D shaft, unless they are different from 87 up, I never messed with anything newer than 4 eyed, so I am not sure about the horn button. Have you figured anything out lately concerning earlier posts?
    I don't check this thread enough, sorry I didn't see your post. I haven't proceeded with the steering wheel issue. I did have a problem with the starter though. The starter that was on the car died and I replaced it. Shortly thereafter, my wife was using the car and apparently the solenoid stuck and some sort of damage ensued. The starter will spin but does not engage the flywheel. I had it towed home and haven't had time to look at it. I'm not sure I want to spend more money on the I6 and am considering a 302/C4 swap. I've never been happy with the performance of the 6 and I'm not sure I'm quirky enough to go the 6 cylinder performance route(I have mucho respect for those that do though). Not thinking anything radical, just something well north of the current 90hp.

I have the 200 six in my wagon. I picked up another 200 from a Maverick. Runs like a sewing machine, but I think I'm just going completely V8 302, 5spd and 8.8 rear with disk brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    I have the 200 six in my wagon. I picked up another 200 from a Maverick. Runs like a sewing machine, but I think I'm just going completely V8 302, 5spd and 8.8 rear with disk brakes.
    This one runs good too, just no power. I've got the 8.8 posi, upgraded brakes, sway bars, etc. already installed. I've got Riken meshies, koni shocks, lowering springs waiting to go on.

Yeah, the 200 blows. Yank that turd and move on with your life!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Probably going to source a late 5.0 roller engine. This will require a '85 dist? What control module? Duraspark II for V8(plug and play?) Msd? Opinions?

Go with factory duraspark or over the counter duraspark box, coil and distributor for the 85 Mustang with the 5spd model only with steel gear. Duraspark should be a blue grommet box. AutoZone has the distributor for under $100 may have to order, but ours here has them in the warehouse. They also have the horse shoe connector for the coil. They also have the pickup coil with connector too if you find an used distributor.
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 09-06-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Any preference for the rebuilder(A-1 Cardone, Spectra, Autoline, Etc.)? I see Rockauto has motorcraft DSII modules.
    Last edited by gmatt; 09-06-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Motorcraft all the way! I bought a crappy Eichlin from Napa and it started to crap out one year later (developed an occasional miss). I would have replaced it but the stock '78 302 nylon capped aluminum timing sprocket lost it teeth and bent all 8 intake valves. Best improvement to the POS D80E heads ever. After all, trash is better than feces.

Man, did I wander off topic...
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Motorcraft all the way! I bought a crappy Eichlin from Napa and it started to crap out one year later (developed an occasional miss). I would have replaced it but the stock '78 302 nylon capped aluminum timing sprocket lost it teeth and bent all 8 intake valves. Best improvement to the POS D80E heads ever. After all, trash is better than feces.

Man, did I wander off topic...
    Ya, Motorcraft for sure on the ICM. The only option for a distributor seems to be rebuilt.

Installed the konis and lowering springs. Pulled the 6 out yesterday.
    Last edited by gmatt; 04-10-2016 at 06:06 PM.

I had an issue several years ago on a healthy street driven 64 Fairlane. At the time I did not realize I had cut off a

resistor wire and was putting 12 volts to the coil instead of 9 volts. Since the OEM coil is not made for 12 volts it

caused a problem. It would run fine until the coil got hot and then the car had to sit until the coil cooled down, by

the time I had not figured out what was happening yet. Thinking it could possibly be the Duraspark module I went to

NAPA and bought a replacement. Since I drag raced the car every weekend I thought I would try making one pass

with the Duraspark and one pass with the NAPA box. I did this for several weeks and the car always a tenth slower

with the NAPA box. After that if I was using anything other than a Duraspark it was a MSD.

In the end though after I figured out it was the coil I installed aftermarket coil that is made to run on 12 volts all

the time and never had a problem again.

Tom
    Last edited by PROSTOCKTOM; 04-10-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Kind of funny how you can plan a project, get advice, order parts and even pull the old engine out, but when the mini grinder and cut-off wheels comes out of the toolbox, it's like a whole 'nother level of commitment. Edit: tried to load pics, but it won't take
    Last edited by gmatt; 05-07-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Kind of funny how you can plan a project, get advice, order parts and even pull the old engine out, but when the mini grinder and cut-off wheels comes out of the toolbox, it's like a whole 'nother level of commitment.
    Yeah, that's what separates the men from the boys. Most people have no idea how many hundreds of hours that you can spend working on a car to make it look nice. Keep at it.

Tom

This seems like such a simple swap. For those of you wanting to do this (6cyl-> 5.0), there are a number of things beyond the obvious.
    I acquired 5.0 from a '88 Mark VII. I'm not running A/C(at least for now) and intend to relocate the P/S pump where the A/C compressor was using the relocation kit from Ford. This kit uses your existing P/S pump bracket, if you've got the 'right' bracket. Well I've got the one piece combo A/C-P/S bracket, so I need to get the correct bracket. If you're reusing the 6 cly trans(I am, C4), you need a V8 bellhousing, block plate, torque convertor and flexplate. These components all need to match in terms of size and application, i.e., diameter, balance factor, tooth count and trans type. There's a lot to sort out, mostly because of Ford's myriad of trans bellhousing/flywheel combinations, different balance factors, roller cam vs. flat tappet, ect. Hopefully it'll all come out right in the end.

Sounds like T-5 time, to me.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Sounds like T-5 time, to me.
    I've got most everything for the C4, bell and flexplate are backordered. T5 would would be nice, but the wife wants to drive it and she will not drive a stick.

Just for the sake of getting information out there, I'm going to try to list the items I needed in order to do this swap. I won't list prices, only because used and even new components can vary widely depending on where you buy them. This list is not in any particular order and probably incomplete. There is a surprising amount of items necessary than appears at first glance.

1. Engine(obviously) I got a 5.0 from a '88 Lincoln Mkvii edit: Thanks John Bailey, runs great!
    2. Transmission: I'm reusing the C4, but I needed to buy: bellhousing, block separator plate, flexplate, torque converter, I also replaced the front and rear seals. Lots of different ways to go here. I'm going to need a kick down set up for this.
    3. Engine/trans mounts. Engine mounts are necessary, trans mount may or may not be. I decided to get all.
    4. Trans crossmember. You could re-use the single hump, but if you want duals(I do) you need the double hump version.
    5. Fuel system. I'm going EFI (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30003/overview/), so, I also needed filters and a pump. Also, safety circuitry for the pump; oil pressure switch, relay, etc. edit: didn't use the relay or oil pressure switch. FiTech runs the fuel pump via pulse width modulation which isn't compatible with a relay. I should also say that I had my fuel tank modified with a 1/2" pick-up tube and a 3/8" return. I fabricated new fuel lines.
    6. Intake manifold. I'm going to see how a Weiand Xcelerator works with throttle body injection. edit: I like it!
    7. Throttle cable/ bracket for V8
    8. K-member. I'm re-using the I6 k-member, just because. Many ways to go here. I have a couple V8 k-members, this just seemed easier, so if it works, why not?
    9. '85 DuraSpark distributor for manual trans(steel gear). I also got a new Motorcraft DuraSpark box. edit: i ended up leaving the the original DSII box in the car and it has worked flawlessly. The new box that I bought is on the shelf as a spare.
    10. Radiator, depending on condition of the current one. I'm getting a new one. I also picked up an electric cooling fan kit. May need an upgrade in the alternator department. edit: using 3G 130A
    11. Front dress for the engine. I want the serpentine set-up. Lot of ways to go here too. I needed a P/S pulley and bracket and relocation kit because I'm deleting the AC(I might regret that, we'll see). I have all the brackets from the Lincoln engine. I also needed a pulley for the alternator. EDIT: Lincoln brackets don't work for me, I sourced appropriate ones. The Lincoln alternator bracket was for a 'large' case alternator.
    12. Exhaust system. I've got Motorsport SS shorties and MAC offroad X pipe and mufflers. Haven't sorted out tailpipes yet. Magnaflow stainless straight through mufflers.
    13. Driveshaft. Others have said the current one will work, so I'll try that. edit: Original one fits great.
    14. Rear end. I previously installed a 8.8 with 3.27:1 gears and TracLok.
    15. Miscellaneous gaskets etc.
    Last edited by gmatt; 10-08-2019 at 09:24 PM.

I also need to sort out the column shift set-up with the V8. Hopefully it'll be simple. This one reason I stayed with shorty headers.

Slow progress being made, but you know the saying 'one thing leads to another'?
    Cleaning up the oil pan and noticed the drain plug is buggered up. OK, replace oil pan. What's this? Missing water pump bolt? Well, not completely missing. So off comes the water pump and timing cover. Hmmm, timing chain seems to have a lot of slack. Might as well replace water pump while it's apart and I had a nice double roller timing chain in my parts bin. And oh yeah, Lincolns had the large case alternator, so I found a good used bracket from a Mustang.(I bought the 130A 3G kit from PA Performance with the voltage regulator replacement module.) This thing is fighting me all the way.

"might as well", that's an expensive phrase isn't it? Good to see things are happening!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

gmatt, Good luck with all you are doing.
    Went thru the drain plug issue with a pan on mine.I ordered one from e bay. works well.
    I know the pain you are going thru.
    I have a F mont now that the only parts original are the sheetmetal ones.
    Keep up the good work.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Thanks for the support guys. I don't mind replacing parts that need to be replaced. It just keeps pushing the finish date further out. Brown truck came today. I'll be moving ahead again.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast