Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My '80 Fairmont

That's a WOW car forsure.

Thanks for the compliments. I finally got around to installing '87-up spindles/brakes and also new Motorsports A-arms. Made a big difference in NVH.
    Bought one of those 'inside' coil spring compressors, made it much easier, but had dis-assemble the compressor to get it out after installing the springs. Installing the A-arms was made easier by starting at the rearmost bushing and getting the bolt started. I then used a ratcheting strap tied from the ball joint to the radiator core support. With tension on the strap, I tapped the A-arm into place with a soft-face hammer. All-in-all, went pretty good, but eat your Wheaties for getting those A-arm bolts loose.

WOW your car IS very clean!!! .. I wish I could get something this nice
    I'm holdin on your rope, got me 10 feet off the ground

New User

Thats great your keeping that car clean,I know that car was nearly flawless.

It's worth noting that if you're upgrading the struts(my spindles came with a good set of struts/shocks) you must re-use the 'onion head' strut bushings or get caster/camber plates. The hole in the top of the shock tower isn't large enough to get full camber adjustment if you use newer oem strut bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Installing the A-arms was made easier by starting at the rearmost bushing and getting the bolt started. I then used a ratcheting strap tied from the ball joint to the radiator core support. With tension on the strap, I tapped the A-arm into place with a soft-face hammer. All-in-all, went pretty good, but eat your Wheaties for getting those A-arm bolts loose.
    Im not sure I understand the fit issue you are/were having? I also installed the complete 87+ front suspension and brakes and did not have any issue with the FLCAs. But I also installed a 90 GT K-member. Did you keep your original K?

Also I did not use my original onion heads. I used the late Mustang upper mounts and had no issue getting the caster/camber correct. There are some different styles of the later mount - I think 79-89 and 90+ but dont hold me to that. Anyway only one type will fit the early Fox cars as the hole pattern for the upper mount studs was changed.
    Last edited by TWR2003; 04-14-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

The A-arm issue was just they were a little too snug to just put in place. I used the strap to keep tension on them while tapping into place. Yes I kept the stock k-member.

I'm not sure what year the upper strut bushings were, they came with the spindle/brakes/struts that I bought used. I installed them and the inner edge of the hole in the top of the shock tower came into contact with the outside of the bushing, so I removed them and re-installed the onion-head bushing. Problem solved. Still need to get an alignment.

The A-arm issue was just they were a little too snug to just put in place. I used the strap to keep tension on them while tapping into place. Yes I kept the stock k-member.

I'm not sure what year the upper strut bushings were, they came with the spindle/brakes/struts that I bought used. I installed them and the inner edge of the hole in the top of the shock tower came into contact with the outside of the bushing, so I removed them and re-installed the onion-head bushing. Problem solved. Still need to get an alignment.
    I had that same exact problem with mine...and solved in the same manner.
    1982 Mustang GT 460/c-4
    1979 Mustang ghia coupe...original 2.3 turbo 4 speed barn find

http://s316.photobucket.com/albums/m...zephyr%20pics/

Still need to get an alignment.
    Took care of this a while back. According to the shop's computerized alignment rack, I was within specs with caster/camber and only needed to adjust toe in/out 3/16" on one side and 1/8" on the other side. The car tracks straight and ride is greatly improved with these new control arms. Very happy.

What rack did you use and where did you get it from.

Quote Originally Posted by josephstjohn View Post
    What rack did you use and where did you get it from.
    Steering rack?

Yes which steering rack.

quick ratio, got it at PepBoys. I ended up replacing everything, hoses/pump too. I don't recall the pump being anything more than a replacement part and I have had no problems at all.

.687 int. .679 exh solid roller in a 396 windsor Whatchu got?????

Progress pics of relative note?
    ~ May those who love us love us. And those that don’t love us, May God turn their hearts. And if He doesn’t turn their hearts, May he turn their ankles, So we’ll know them by their limping. ~

IRISH TOAST

Quote Originally Posted by cylhead8 View Post
    Progress pics of relative note?
    Been working A LOT. I'll try to get some, but it's usually dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home .

Been a while. I picked up an extra set of tail lights and decided to try the blacked out look. I'm not knocked out by it, but I don't dislike the look either.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I like the dark bezel around it but the lights need to stay bright.

I like the BEFORE. Might work better with a darker colored car.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Can't believe it's been over a year since updating this thread. Haven't done much to the car until recently though. I just swapped an 8.8/3.27/trak-lok in over the weekend. Surprised to find a 6.75/2.73 rear under there. I checked the backlash(OK) and re-shimmed the trak-lok, new fluid and new upper bushings(Ford Racing). I had planned to keep the brakes on the car and swap them onto the 8.8, but since it wasn't a 7.5, I kept the brakes that were on the 8.8 and just swapped the brake lines. All the fittings worked, no adapters needed. I installed a 21 tooth(purple) speedo gear. I also removed the shock brackets from the 8.8 and the shock mounting studs from the 6.75 bolted right up in the holes on the 8.8.

Mine had that same funny little rear. Hearing about more and more of them! Sweet car, by the way!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Mine had that same funny little rear. Hearing about more and more of them! Sweet car, by the way!
    Thanks. The interior needs work. Seats and carpet.

Can't believe another year has gone by. Haven't done much to the 'mont, but I just picked some new shoes for her. Got a good deal on a set of rikens from a guy on CL, but they need new skins.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gmatt; 05-20-2023 at 01:51 PM.

OK, I couldn't wait til spring to see what it will look like. Please excuse the dirt, it's been too cold to wash. I still need to get new tires for these rims.

Before: Name:  015.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  103.9 KB

After: Name:  016.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  101.7 KB

I like it.

nice. very upscale looking.

Looks great!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST