Close

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My '80 Fairmont

I installed the passenger side upper torque box reinforcement today. I feel like that's the more difficult side with more stuff in the way, at least on my car. I ran the fuel lines on that side and the brake line comes out of the floorboard right there and I put the exhaust hanger there too. Not welded, but I'll eventually get to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    I wish my wife asked the same of me! Usually it's a guilt trip for not spending enough time with her. So basically I get 2hr every Monday when the Bachelor or Bachelorette is airing...and I worked out that Sunday is my day to work on my hobby. I try and not get out there earlier than 1, that way we eat lunch together after church and hang out for an hour or so...and I try and pick up by 4-4:30...but with recording it for YouTube episodes, I'm certainly not super efficient when I'm constantly trying to move a camera. Sometimes you punt the good camera angle to just get some stuff done. But yea, from Feb-Oct or so I average about 5hr a week to work on it, so maybe I'm not that far off of your schedule.
    Grant she's never complained about my hobbies, plus she wants it finished. It's tough during the week because I work outside and when it's hot I don't feel like doing anything when I get home.
    I appreciate guys like you filming this stuff for youtube. It helps with motivation to work on my stuff.

Glad I can help! I understand what you're saying. In college years I worked construction. I'm an Architect now, but on last Friday I volunteered with our company's annual (habitat for humanity like) build an outdoor classroom for a school. I got my team's objective wrapped up about an hour early in the work day. So I went and lended a hand on the team that was starting to pour column footings as they were behind...so I ended up working an extra 1.5 hrs in the heat. I forgot how sore the body can get. So I totally can appreciate what you're saying because there's no way I'd have the energy to get out in the garage last Friday night!

That all said, I got another video scheduled to drop tomorrow at 4:30am central time. I got a little power hour done out in the garage tonight. Didn't get a whole lot done. In fact what progress I did get done for the build didn't make the video. But the video I hope is enjoyable in the format it's in.

Installed the driver side upper torque box reinforcement today. Couple of thoughts; 1. If you are contemplating installing torque box reinforcements, do it with the rear end out of the car if at all possible.(I didn't), 2. When reinstalling the upper control arms, having a small jack to raise the nose of the rear end is extremely helpful in getting the bolt holes lined up.

Went to move the car off the ramps after finishing the torque boxes. Had not yet reinstalled the rear seat lower cushion. Thought it was odd that the brake pedal seemed low and at the same time heard hissing coming from behind me. Turned to see brake fluid spraying on the rear passenger door. Strange that the only place the brake lines have rust is inside the car. Good thing I already have new lines to install. Guess the car sometimes tells you which upgrade to do next.

At least it happened in the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    At least it happened in the driveway.
    I'm really afraid of what happens when I "finish" my new brake set up for the first time. Glad you're safe.

I'm really afraid of what happens when I "finish" my new brake set up for the first time. Glad you're safe.
    Thanks Grant. Take a close look at yours. I mean, my floor pans are spotless, they look almost like new. And here's this brake line lying on top of them, rusted through. Weird. You can kind of see it in one of the pics I posted.

When I put down new carpet and sound deadener, I didn't see anything that looked out of place, but I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Thanks Grant. Take a close look at yours. I mean, my floor pans are spotless, they look almost like new. And here's this brake line lying on top of them, rusted through. Weird. You can kind of see it in one of the pics I posted.
    Could they have rusted from the inside out from moisture in the brake fluid/lines??
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Could they have rusted from the inside out from moisture in the brake fluid/lines??
    That's possible, but that also would be only if air was present too.

They're wrapped with some sort of spring in that area. For abrasion resistance? That's the part that's rusty. Don't know where the moisture came from. Like I said, the floor isn't even rusted. The grommet where it passes back out through the floor pan seems worn, maybe water came through there.

I should probably know more about my situation on Sunday.

FEP Member

That's possible, but that also would be only if air was present too.
    Don't need air, there is enough oxygen in water to cause rust. Ordinary steel in a lake will rust. Brake fluid being hygroscopic, will absorb moisture from the air. The master cylinder has a vent that lets a little bit of the atmosphere in. Over time water will get in, worse if you have a lot of humidity. It helps to flush the brake lines every few years. I live on the edge of the desert so it's less of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    Don't need air, there is enough oxygen in water to cause rust. Ordinary steel in a lake will rust. Brake fluid being hygroscopic, will absorb moisture from the air. The master cylinder has a vent that lets a little bit of the atmosphere in. Over time water will get in, worse if you have a lot of humidity. It helps to flush the brake lines every few years. I live on the edge of the desert so it's less of a problem.
    Good to know, thanks. I got the center mount bracket and lines. Try to get it done this weekend. Then I can finish exhaust.

Got the brake lines installed and bled. Latest pic:Name:  P1360639.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  361.1 KB

Starting to think about an overdrive transmission for the Fairmont. The C4 is working fine, but even with 3.27 gears out back, rpms seem a bit high when highway driving. I feel like I would drive the car much more(further) if it had the extra gear. I know the V6 4R70W fits, can be run with a stand alone controller(US Gear) and that it's plenty strong in stock form for my car: stockish 5.0. So I'm not opposed to using a used, low mileage transmission. Maybe with a higher stall converter and a shift kit.

FEP Senior Member

I've been thinking very seriously lately about a 4R70W trans for my wagon. I have an AOD from my '93 SuperCoupe parts car in the garage, but I just have no interest at all in trying to rig up a TV cable to my CFI system. I already went through that when I converted my '91 Crown Vic from the stock two barrel carb to an aftermarket four barrel carb. Even though it is setup properly I still hate how it shifts.

The controllers for these aren't as expensive as I thought they were (I was looking at the Baumann setup). I would forego any aftermarket shift kit stuff and just do the J-Mod to the trans and call it a day.

C5, plus 24.9" tires at 80mph for prolonged periods of time isn't very awesome even with 2.73 gears.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Manual swap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post

C5, plus 24.9" tires at 80mph for prolonged periods of time isn't very awesome even with 2.73 gears.
    That's what my wagon has, tires are a bit taller in back though, 235/60-15

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Manual swap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I'll never say never....but I'd like the wife to be able to drive this and she refuses to drive a manual.

FEP Senior Member

My wife is the opposite and actually prefers a manual trans car. I'd like to convert my wagon to manual eventually, but my goal is to keep it roadworthy as much as possible. I know if I get into a manual trans swap it will take me forever to complete. 4R70W seems like the quickest and easiest way to get up and running with an auto OD trans.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

My first car was a '70 Cutlass with a TH350 and 4.10 gears, long tubes with 'hush' Thrush header mufflers/no tail pipes. I drove that thing everywhere, but I took one highway trip ~300 miles round trip. 3K rpm at 60 mph. Holy moly, I thought the fillings were gonna vibrate out of my teeth.

I've really been spoiled by overdrive transmissions.

My wife is the opposite and actually prefers a manual trans car. I'd like to convert my wagon to manual eventually, but my goal is to keep it roadworthy as much as possible. I know if I get into a manual trans swap it will take me forever to complete. 4R70W seems like the quickest and easiest way to get up and running with an auto OD trans.
    My wife does too. Grew up with manuals. But I get it. The more appeal to more family members, the better. It can be something fun for everyone. I want the same thing with my car.

I did a manual swap on my Zeph. If I can do it, ANYONE can.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I swapped the power steering pump pulley today. I found that the early 3.8 liter sixes had a larger diameter pulley (6 5/8"). The one I took off was 5 7/8". Junkyard underdrive pulley! I doubt I'll notice any difference. Have to keep tinkering.
    Last edited by gmatt; 09-18-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast