Close

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: My '80 Fairmont

FEP Senior Member

Any more pics of that exhaust forward of the axle? What size pipes are those?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

They're 2 1/2" pipes. I'll try to get more pics

Don't be too rough on me; I'm not a welder, but I own one...and a grinder. My 1st custom exhaust. 2 1/2"

Name:  P1380384d.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  12.6 KB over the top

Got tired of looking at this old cracked steering wheel, so I found something a little more sporty.
    Name:  P1380413a.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  123.2 KB
    Name:  P1380416a.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  152.3 KB

Sooo, I have purchased a manual pedal box....and some other things.....

FEP Senior Member

What trans are you thinking of going with?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I like that steering wheel!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Probably a T5. I initially was thinking of a 4R70W, but I think a T5 will be easier, cheaper and more fun. My wife hasn't shown any interest in driving this car and I really want an overdrive transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I like that steering wheel!
    Thanks, I saw it on fb marketplace and decided to make a change.

Been working on the T5 swap. It's a lot of work by myself in the driveway. The trans is installed, but I needed a different x-member. Got one from Stifflers and it fit perfect. I guess there's an offset trans mount that works with the stock x-member, which Eric Shirley alerted me to, but considering I already have a polyurethane mount, i decided to go with Stifflers. It's a nice piece. The drive shaft which I thought I had figured out with an Explorer aluminum unit (4dr, 2wd, V6) is too long. I have to shorten it 1 inch. With the yoke fully in the transmission, the rear flange will not clear the end of the pinion. Even if it did, there would've been only about 1/4" or less of fore/aft clearance. It's actually a little shorter than the original drive shaft which works with the C4. I was concerned it would be short, but I guess a T5 is that much longer than a C4. What's money for, eh? Have to install the pedals and cable next. Got new carpet too. Wired up the reverse lights and neutral safety, also.

Explorer 4.0 2wd aluminum d/s, 50.75" center-to-center fits perfectly in my Fairmont.

Good progress.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Explorer 4.0 2wd aluminum d/s, 50.75" center-to-center fits perfectly in my Fairmont.

Good progress.

Mike
    That's the one I got. My drive shaft guy is cutting an inch, 49.75". Maybe it's got something to do with the I6 k-member?

I-6 k-member, that's it, I'm sure. I was going to say I'm surprised it didn't fit.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I-6 k-member, that's it, I'm sure. I was going to say I'm surprised it didn't fit.
    The flanges cleared each other, just wouldn't go over the end of the pinion/nut. There wouldn't have been enough play anyway, 1/4" or less.

I gotta give props to Chicago Driveline in Alsip.Il. Shortened and balanced, 1 day turnaround. Awesome service. Dropped it off 2:30 Thursday, picked it up 12:30 Friday.

So the drive shaft is in, pedals are in. Had to R&R the steering column to do that. Fluid in trans, topped off rear diff. Next challenge; the hole in the firewall is ~1 3/16", the sleeve of the MM cable adjuster is ~ 1 5/16". Gotta get a step bit that goes up that big. It was hot out there today, I'm beat.

worth noting: there's a brace under the dash just to the right of the clutch quadrant, if you're using a later model pedal box(I am), this brace interferes with the swing of the quadrant. Not by much, just the furthest forward stud on the arm that holds the quadrant contacts this brace. Just takes a little persuasion with a BFH.
    Last edited by gmatt; 08-06-2022 at 08:59 PM.

So the T5 swap is done. While the steering shaft was disconnected, I had the bright idea to pull out the shorty headers, down tubes and H-pipe and replace all this with a set of BBK long tubes with matching H-pipe. Driver side was a breeze, header out, header in, easy peasy. Passenger side was an all day affair, but it's in and to my surprise, the car is actually quieter. Only had 1 drive so far, but it seems to drive nice and smooth.

Need to see some pics to fully appreciate your hard work, sounds like a sweet set up.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Can't seem to load pics anymore, I just get an 'upload failed' message. I'll try 'copy and paste', but often the pics are too large.

edit: It won't allow me to copy and paste either. Just shows a massive amount of text instead of a picture.

edit: I'll post some pics on the fb 4eyed pride page.
    Last edited by gmatt; 08-10-2022 at 09:14 AM.

I have new carpet from ACC , yet to install and new rear parking brake cables. Now that I have a manual trans, I want to have a parking brake. I need to get a proper shifter boot too, I just have the rubber boot that closes off the hole in the floor.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Can't seem to load pics anymore, I just get an 'upload failed' message. I'll try 'copy and paste', but often the pics are too large.
    I just did a test upload to my thread and it worked OK. It could be that your picture size is the issue. I don't know if you're working with a phone or a PC or what, but there are all sorts of free image resizer programs that will resize JPGs down to something the forum should be able to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    edit: I'll post some pics on the fb 4eyed pride page.
    Which one are you on? I just noticed the foureyedpride.com FB page hasn't had any action on it since 2016, so I'm guessing it's not that one. Ahhh, but now I see that in addition to the foureyedpride.com page, there's also a FourEyedPride group - guess I need to join that one!
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I just did a test upload to my thread and it worked OK. It could be that your picture size is the issue. I don't know if you're working with a phone or a PC or what, but there are all sorts of free image resizer programs that will resize JPGs down to something the forum should be able to handle.

Which one are you on? I just noticed the foureyedpride.com FB page hasn't had any action on it since 2016, so I'm guessing it's not that one. Ahhh, but now I see that in addition to the foureyedpride.com page, there's also a FourEyedPride group - guess I need to join that one!
    I resized it pretty small. it accepted it but posted text. This was copy and paste. Whenever I try to post a pic using the forum option, it just says 'upload failed'. Maybe I've reached my limit for pics, but I've deleted a lot so I don't think so. And yes, the FourEyedPride group on fb, https://www.facebook.com/groups/5855193478

I have a stand alone shifter bezel I'll try to make work. Have to fab mounts for it.

Awesome progress! Hope you can fix the photo issue so we can see more.
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast