Close

Default HOW-TO: Collector Insurance and vehicle registration in AZ, with NO emissions testing

Step 1: Obtain collector insurance for your vehicle(s)
    Step 2: Have your insurance agent fax a copy of your declaration page to AZ DMV at this number: 602-712-3288. This will serve to notify DMV that your vehicle is eligible to waive emissions testing, due to mileage restrictions placed upon it by your insurance company.
    Step 3: sign on to the DMV website at servicearizona.com (I waited 24 hours after submittal of fax)
    Step 4: Follow the steps for vehicle registration renewal.

For my '79 Capri, the registration costs are as follows:
    1-year: $19.75
    2-year: $31.25
    5-year: $65.75. That's $13 per year for registration! Not bad.

Nice. If I ever have a spare 4 eye that's nice enough I will have to look into that. Right now my 86 is my daily driver. I talked to Geico and they sent me to a third party who required me to store it in a garage and drive less then 1000 miles a year.

i registered mine in yuma and it cost 20 bucks, no smog no nothing. and i live and drive it on ocassion in cali.

I pay almost nothing for all my cars. seems anything more then 20 years old is only $20 per year.

I did this about 6 mos ago... a little different than you.

Do you have State Farm or Haggerty?

I it on my 90 GT through State Farm. They wanted pics of the whole car inside and out.

For me it was:
    1: Obtain collector insurance for your vehicle(s)
    2: Have agent mail me a letter. It said "to whom it may concern: this vehicle is insured as collectible and will only be driven 1500mi/yr blah blah"
    3: Walk into DMV with letter and paid for 5 year tags.
    1981 T-top coupe - FEP #28
    1990 GT - H/C/I
    2003 GT daily driver - bolt-ons 252hp/292tq rw

i have an original 1968 chevy II/nova SS its got the original black plates for a michigan car and it has been stored most of its life, i think my dad has haggerty or something, and its registered as a classic and soon to be considered an antique, pretty ****ing cool if ya ask me, and its been bracket raced alot in the 70's and its been mine since i was like 11. i love that car as well as my stang and i will never sell them at any cost

well i would say its stock cause its not it has fuell (camelback racing heads a 350 small black with a somewhat agressive cam, corvette dual piston caliper front power disk drums in rear. itsgot long tubes and thrush muffers with dumps before rear axel its sweet for the time it was raced

It's cool what the collector car owner can do to miss the emission "problem!"
    In 2013 my 93 Cobra will "graduate" from an "exotic" to the next tier saving
    me 50%+ on collector car insurance: all my Mustangs will then be covered
    as collectors/antiques!
    Last edited by arvak; 07-01-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

You can't do this without some kind of valid AZ address though, right?
    Stock 1985 GT convertible, auto with CFI. Formerly owned an 86 GT convertible.

I love Arkansas. No emissions or yearly inspection(any vehicle). If your vehicle is 25 years or older and you own another car you simply go to the DMV or revenue office as we call it here and sign a form promising to keep the car as stock as posible, pay 10 bucks and your car is registered for life. The model T on the antique plates is kind of ugly though.
    1986 GT Vert 5.0 EFI ,AOD,3.27's,K&N CAI Kit,2 1/2 H-pipe,No Cats,Flowmaster 40 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_86_GT View Post
    You can't do this without some kind of valid AZ address though, right?
    Az titled/registered cars AND Az address.

You'll have to get rid of all the Cali pols, elect more car friendly people and
    pass some less strict laws....OR permanently relocate to Az. Of course, Az
    has a few quirks of its own that aren't too cool.....Pima Co. (Tucson) and
    Maricopa Co. (Phoenix) are state emmision checked whereas the rest of the
    state is not. To my way of thinking, that is NOT democratic: it
    should be "all or none"....oh well, you can't have everthing!
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO