Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by gt pony View Post
    The rear tires on the 86 are 285/40 17's. They just barely clear the horizontal quad shock. I'm talking maybe 1/16 to 1/8". Thanks for the compliments Scott.
    That looks great!!! I wish I had 285's on mine. I think the 275's look too low profile and too skinny on the 10" rims.

How the heck are you still running the quads? Can you shoot some pics please? Mine wouldn't fit even if I flipped them so I'm curious how yours fit.

Tyler
    Black, 85 GT, T-top, 5sp, ......SOLD WAH!!!
    68 F100, 4x4, 390, 4 sp.
    68 Bronco, Roller 302, injected, auto, being modded!
    2010 Raptor, SCAB, 6.2.......
    2012 Focus, little motor.

Well Tyler, I tried to get a picture of the horizontal quad shock, it's number 4 of the posted ones, but it didn't turn out so good. There is a plastic shield on the flipped end, I suppose that it could be cut away to gain some clearance, but I didn't have to that on my car.

The clearance is very slim, but it doesn't rub on my car. The only other thing that I can think of would be a production variance between our cars. Hope this helps.

There's one more thing I forgot to mention. For those of you that have to run quarter inch spacers on the front to clear the struts, you'll need them with these wheels also.

Thanks. I checked that photo before but wasn't sure if it was the shock or quad. I think mine are white. Maybe mine are aftermarket and that is the problem. I can see the E5 date code on yours. I already took the dust shields off also.

I'm going to have to look at mine closely again. Moving the bracket may fix the problem. Wheel hop hasn't been an issue so maybe I don't even need to bother.

Keep an eye on how close the exhaust is to the tire. If you sat in traffic a long time it may soften the rubber. I was able to loosen all the u-bolts, jockey it slightly for about 3/4" clearance, and then tighten it all back up.
    68 F100, 4x4, 390, 4 sp.

Quote Originally Posted by gt pony View Post
    There's one more thing I forgot to mention. For those of you that have to run quarter inch spacers on the front to clear the struts, you'll need them with these wheels also.
    X2 on that for sure.
    68 F100, 4x4, 390, 4 sp.

Thanks for the advise on the exhaust Tyler. I live in southern Wisconsin and we really don't have traffic jams here to often, plus the car doesn't get driven to often as you can see. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Incidentally, my wife and I are coming to Florida with both cars a week before Christmas. We're staying at her sisters place in Cape Coral through Xmas. I'm going to post a thread in a couple weeks for a meet and greet. I'll bring some of WI. finest brew and cheeses. If you can attend let me know. Somebody will have to set the time and place. Daryl

Daryl,
    That would be a great tiime. I wish I could join, but I'm going to be in that area about two weeks after you. The 17th annual Ford and Mustang Roundup, Jan 8-9 in Ocala. It is a big get together at Silver Springs put on by NPD. It will be my first, but I've been wanting to go for years. Over a 1,000 fords. Mostly Mustangs.

I would say it's a long drive for me to go to Cape Coral, but you got me beat something fierce.
    68 F100, 4x4, 390, 4 sp.

I wish I had known about the Mustang roundup event, I would have changed my plans. Maybe next year. Yes indeed, I will be pulling that trailer a long way. With both cars and a compressor, generator, and other items it weighs about 19000 lbs. This will be the longest trip I've made with it. Let's hope everything goes OK. Take care.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123