Close

Hybrid View

Default using copper lines as an oil pressure line

the nylon line that came with my mechanical oil pressure gauge burst in my engine bay making a huge mess. so within minutes i ordered some copper lines to replace the busted nylon line. now, i just have one question, how do i rig it up? i have a pic of what came with my oil line. how do i make it work?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Its a direct replacement for the nylon line.

The only thing I suggest is don't route it so tight it cannot flex. Add a loop or other stress reliever to the flexing engine-firewall bend. I've seen only one crack and leak over the years. Its not normal but it did happen. Once he added a loop to absorb some flexing it has not failed in about 6 years now.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I've never seen a nylon line bust. I work on diesels and have a '79 international and it still has the original nylon line on it. As said before, the copper line is a direct replacement for the nylon. It just kinks easier.
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

I had a nylon line in my old '70 Econoline for 10 years and it never failed.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

I usually get a vacuum line that the 1/8" cu line can slip into and use that as a bit of protection from heat and extreme bending.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

MAKE SURE YOU PUT LOOPS IN THE LINE !!!!!!!!!
    or it will develop vibration stress and crack apart,

nylon will not
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Chris Wood

That is the EXACT reason that I run -4 AN Stainless braided on mine, not only did it make a mess, it almost left me on the side of the road, not to mention wasting 5 quarts of Mobil 1.
    The -4 is very easy to run, will not burst, and will last the life of the car. Bought all my stuff from musclemotorsports.com (they sell used Nextel Cup car stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wood View Post
    That is the EXACT reason that I run -4 AN Stainless braided on mine, not only did it make a mess, it almost left me on the side of the road, not to mention wasting 5 quarts of Mobil 1.
    What adapter do you use to connect your #4AN line to the gauge ? all aftermarket pressure gauges i've bought have a 1/8 compression fitting thread on the gauge ... can't find an adapter (1/8 NPT doesn't fit).
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Chris Wood

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang View Post
    What adapter do you use to connect your #4AN line to the gauge ? all aftermarket pressure gauges i've bought have a 1/8 compression fitting thread on the gauge ... can't find an adapter (1/8 NPT doesn't fit).
    If I remember correctly, you have to remove the fitting that comes in the gauge and then use an adapter.

If I remember correctly, you have to remove the fitting that comes in the gauge and then use an adapter.
    Will check the one from Summit i have because on the other one, you can't remove the fitting from the gauge, it's directly soldered to the tube inside.
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

i had a nylon for awhile, and then i split out of nowhere. they should not be used at all.

i swapped out to a copper line. i looped it at the sender to try and quiet it down. that friggin gauge was so loud with that line i got fed up and ditched that setup altogether for an electric unit.

cale

Saw what you mean on Summit's gauge ... the fitting is still soldered to the gauge but there's another larger thread below, tightening the inner tube to the gauge. Haven't identified it yet ... i can screw the #4 fitting directly on it but i don't think it'll be leak-proof that way and it's not 1/8 NPT ... will have to check the various adapters i have around.

I had nylon oil line in my car for years with no problem, I suspect in most cases it was an install error of some sort. With the copper you have to roll it out gently and then use a hand held tubing bender (for brake lines and such) to create some gradual curves. You don't want to kink this stuff.

Heat.. That's why they break.. Did the nylon get close to the headers etc?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

I have had a couple of those nylon lines fail and my nephew had one fail a couple years back as well. Now days I use braided stainless lines that I get from the local circle track store. They are meant for brake lines, come assembled in several different lengths with -4 fittings but the line is actually smaller and they are much cheaper than building your own.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

Chris Wood

I understand that egos play a huge part on here, don't know why.

Anyway, I had a nylon line burst, it may have gotten too close to a header, steering shaft, chaffed on sheet metal, whatever, none the less, it failed. When asked for advise on plumbing an oil pressure gauge, I simply gave the (in my opinion) best solution, based on my own experience. You won't find nylon tubing on aircraft being used as a high pressure line, and nylon is much lighter, which tells me that if they could get away with it they would, but they can't so they use the best (safest) pressure lines. Why does everything on here have to be a debate?

I understand that egos play a huge part on here, don't know why.

Anyway, I had a nylon line burst, it may have gotten too close to a header, steering shaft, chaffed on sheet metal, whatever, none the less, it failed. When asked for advise on plumbing an oil pressure gauge, I simply gave the (in my opinion) best solution, based on my own experience. You won't find nylon tubing on aircraft being used as a high pressure line, and nylon is much lighter, which tells me that if they could get away with it they would, but they can't so they use the best (safest) pressure lines. Why does everything on here have to be a debate?
    Wait. Did you run the tube up the front of the block then along the top side on the intake with the top-ish part of the valve cover thereby avoiding the major heat sources? Cause that's what I've been doing with my lines and I have not had any issues.

Chris Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    Wait. Did you run the tube up the front of the block then along the top side on the intake with the top-ish part of the valve cover thereby avoiding the major heat sources? Cause that's what I've been doing with my lines and I have not had any issues.
    The key here is "have not had any issues". Maybe you will be luckier than I was, I also ran nylon tubing for years without the first let down, but when it does let you down it is a very sick feeling knowing that a cheap azzed piece of plastic tubing is why you are walking.

The key here is "have not had any issues". Maybe you will be luckier than I was, I also ran nylon tubing for years without the first let down, but when it does let you down it is a very sick feeling knowing that a cheap azzed piece of plastic tubing is why you are walking.
    The nylon tube that is on my LTD LX was put on when LTDScott owned it. I'm sure it's been around 10, or more, years on that nylon line he installed.

My 85 GT: 4, or so years on the Cu line with the Vacuum tube as protection. It's run about the same as the LTD LX's. I'll see if I have a picture laying around.

Every nylon line I've ever had weeped oil around the engine fitting. Not a lot but enough to be messy. If you ever get teched to go racing, an astute inspector will not let you race with the plastic oil line that extends into the drivers compartment.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI