Close

Default Engine miss - Carb related?

Well, my '85 has developed a miss. I'm no pro by any means but it's been suggested to me it's most likely my carb, a holley 600. Before I go and rebuild this carb, the previous owner had it matched with an edelbrock intake. Should I just swap out for an Edelbrock carb?

Is there a way to tell if the miss is the carb over an ignition or valve issue as well?

Thanks

I would check the plugs first. I had a set Boschs in mine and developed a miss and changed to Autolites. That was the charm. Autolites/Motorcraft plugs are the best for Fords.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

My experience with a miss in the engine is that it is almost always cured by something small....plugs, filters, plug wires, cap, rotor, etc. With the age of our cars a bad wire to the distributor or coil could also be a culprit. I would definitely check or replace most of that stuff before swapping or rebuilding the carb.

Good luck with your car.

Okay, replaced cap, wires, plugs, & rotor. Problem still there. Hated to spend the extra dough, but I'm sure it could've used a tune anyways. Most plugs looked good, but middle 2 plugs on left side were nastier than the others.

Hmmm, just looked up my carb on Holley's website. On a seperate note, I've got an a.o.d. and have been trying to figure out why it won't kickdown under full throttle. Holley's description for this carb is "Ford A/T kickdown, does not work with A.O.D. transmissions" - the way I read that is that's my problem and I should just replace the whole thing. Am I misinterpretting that?

You need the Lokar AOD cable for your transmission to work correctly with a carb.

http://www.transmissioncenter.com/Lo...htm#TV%20Cable

Quote Originally Posted by flying finn View Post
    Okay, replaced cap, wires, plugs, & rotor. Problem still there. Hated to spend the extra dough, but I'm sure it could've used a tune anyways. Most plugs looked good, but middle 2 plugs on left side were nastier than the others.
    Nastier in what way?
    my car is slow....
    84 GT convertible
    13.58@102.84, 2.01 60ft... summer in AZ...
    68 coupe.. lookin for 8's with a street car
    http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg

I usually find a vacuum leak to be the cause of a wierd miss like that. I rebuilt my carb till I was blue in the face and found a leaky EGR and hose. That solved it. Look around for a vacuum leak.

Also, you can stick a vacuum gauge on manifold vacuum and check your engine that way. Depending upon how the needle acts, you can roughly diagnose engine issues. Vacuum Diagnostics
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

Bought the rebuild kit from Holley today and ordered the kick down part they suggested. I'll be on the look out for leaks as well.

By "nastier" I meant more of a fouled condition rather than dry and just burnt of the other plugs

If you've got an AOD, Holley does not make a part that will work with the AOD's Throttle
    Valve (TV) linkage. The kickdown on Holley (or Edelbrock) carbs is just that, a kickdown, for
    transmissions like the C4 that are otherwise controlled by a vacuum modulator.

The Lokar cable is the ONLY commercially available solution that will properly attach an AOD
    TV cable to a carburetor. Sonnax sells a linkage piece, but then you have to fabricate the
    rest, so that doesn't count.

Unless someone fully understands the difference between a kickdown and a TV cable, I'd
    strongly recommend just getting the Lokar kit for the AOD.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Well, I've been out of town for work and just today tried rebuilding the holley. Seemed to go well, as in car does start but other than that it sucks.

It won't idle and blows white smoke pretty bad. Not sure what to do other ask for advice or call in a pro. Never messed with jets or idle (made notes and put screws back in exact locations), runs really rough too - missing bad.

Halfway considering still throwing on an Edelbrock and just going that route.

Remember, I'm green repairing cars, so go easy on me

Quote Originally Posted by flying finn View Post
    Most plugs looked good, but middle 2 plugs on left side were nastier than the others.
    Any way to see what those plugs looked like?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Tossed 'em in the trash after the tune up

White smoke? Does it smell sweet? When you pulled your spark plugs out, did any of
    the ones on the four end cylinders look exceptionally clean?
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

head gasket could be toast!

out of curiosity does the aod have a vaccum modulator like a ((cough)) chevy turbo 350.....had to ask.

No, the AOD is controlled by a Throttle Valve cable. And if it's burning coolant, particularly
    in one of the end cylinders, it's far more likely to be an intake manifold gasket. This is why
    I ask questions first...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

good point JA

boxwrench has some great videos that might help you out. here's one to get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUrCP...eature=related

cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    boxwrench has some great videos that might help you out. here's one to get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUrCP...eature=related

cale

thanks, I didn't think of looking there for info.

By the way intake manifold gasket was recently replaced too. I've had suggestions of timing chain & valves as well